CRP opened for haying.

I’m seeing different dates, I will check with the FSA office tomorrow on the haying dates. I have read where it will be after the nesting season, as usual.

Terrible timing to open this now. Guessing many nests haven't hatched, which those hens might try again (assuming they get off the nest before the sickle comes). As low as they cut when haying, this will likely be fatal to the chicks too. Was really hoping this wouldn't be the case again this year. We won't be haying /grazing any of ours's but I have 2 other blocks of CRP that I hunt which one was grazed and the other hayed last season...assuming they will do this again. NW IA is very dry, worse than last year, so I can see this happening. Looks like 32 Iowa counties on the list, mine and all the surrounding ones. So dry here, our town just put lawn water restrictions in place to conserve water.

How long do they allow emergency grazing? Most of nw and nc Kansas is included from last winter ,, we are as drought monitor free as we have ever been

NW IA is very dry, worse than last year, so I can see this happening.
All of MN is in a stage of drought too. This has been the driest and warmest start to a summer that I can ever recall and I have lived here 28 years.

Just got off the phone with the local FSA office. The CRP hasn’t been released to cut in our county as of now, even though we are on the list of D2 counties. It will be after the nesting season most likely but they of course they couldn’t commit to that.

I don’t know what is going on with the farm I saw baling on yesterday.

Maybe it came out of the program, could the FSA office tell you if you gave them the section and location, if it is enrolled? Guessing they will fail to find humor in this if it is actually still enrolled.

I haven't seen any chicks yet or hatched nest sites. Hot and dry describes our June so far...much like August.

Maybe it came out of the program, could the FSA office tell you if you gave them the section and location, if it is enrolled? Guessing they will fail to find humor in this if it is actually still enrolled.

I haven't seen any chicks yet or hatched nest sites. Hot and dry describes our June so far...much like August.
I saw a brood of chicks Saturday. They had to have hatched in the road ditch, they were a long ways from any other cover.

Second year for this patch of CRP, looks really good.

The new EQUIP seeding needs a drink:

E56-F42-A3-7280-4466-BF4-D-DD0886-B18216.jpg

Last edited:
Below is text I just got this evening. A small sliver of hope for at least a decent hatch?? Also some rain moving across parts of SD tonight.

Just saw a hen pheasant with a bunch of little ones about a mile from your property!

Terrible timing to open this now. Guessing many nests haven't hatched, which those hens might try again (assuming they get off the nest before the sickle comes). As low as they cut when haying, this will likely be fatal to the chicks too. Was really hoping this wouldn't be the case again this year. We won't be haying /grazing any of ours's but I have 2 other blocks of CRP that I hunt which one was grazed and the other hayed last season...assuming they will do this again. NW IA is very dry, worse than last year, so I can see this happening. Looks like 32 Iowa counties on the list, mine and all the surrounding ones. So dry here, our town just put lawn water restrictions in place to conserve water
We are willing to let you have half the rain drowning the East Coast right now. Iowa was terrible last year, it took us a day or two to realize how dry and modify our hunting plans to include creeks and rivers nearby as there were no birds anywhere else. Hope you get some relief soon

Saw a hen quail in a food plot in our CRP tonight when heading to spray thistles. Then when I am working on a patch, I can hear one whistling. First one I have seen one that farm in 25 years. My father saw a pair of males 2 years ago and I heard one that year. On quail, do hens whistle also??? We seem to be on the extreme northern edge of quail habitat.

Back