Crosby / Divide County

LABS HUNT

Does anybody know if the Crosby area has good pheasant hunting ? I was planning a trip up in that area and wanted to see if I should bring my shotgun and do some walking around for a rooster or two.

Yep, good area for sharps & huns too...

That area can be very fun to hunt. I hunted that area from about 1992 - 2010. Before the water returned it was fantastic area to hunt. Once the sloughs refilled it was still fine, but much cover was lost. Mostly shorter grasses (huns and sharptails prefer) which lends itself to being able to watch the dogs work.

Man that is remote country though (although I suppose the Bakken has changed it some). Divide and Burke Counties have about 2,000 people each. If there is snow ... take care what roads you travel, keep your gas tank full, and some survival gear in the truck. Odds are you will never need it, but finding help can take some time. Assume cell service is much better now than say 15 years ago.

We were fortunate to know a working farm / ranch in eastern Divide county. Decent private land hunting and someone to call if we had a problem. Helped them drive cattle a couple times to the home place in late October.

Thanks BRITTMAN!
Yes, I learned some time ago to be very prepared when out in remote ND. I learned to carry all things with you in a truck and have good up to date maps, because I was one of those people that got stuck and stranded.....Not fun!
But I love that area that is so remote because the hunting is great!

I lost an oil pan on a secondary road(not a 2 track) up there a couple years ago. For good or bad the Bakken has improved the cell service. Still was a long tow and than a much longer wait in the small town to get a new pan from Billings. Oil field activity has tapered off the last couple years so there are less roads open after a snow now. As everywhere the crp has declined.

Thanks for the info guys....How about if anyone knows where I can set my camper and camp a few nights while hunting out there?

Many small ND towns have a campground (even those with just a hundred people). It will likely have electricity, but you maybe on your own for water. May want to google search Divide county campgrounds and follow up with a phone call or email. I would hope that the city campground up there are not permanent residence type places. Not sure if they shutdown for winter or first snow either.

Other private "campgrounds" up there may cater to oil and oil service types. Noise, crime, rowdy behavior, etc... is not uncommon there.

Crosby fairgrounds free camping with electricity and water and hot showers. Hunting really good, but remote. Keep jump starter pack in the truck, scoop, tow strap, extra key, and prepare like you will spend the night in the truck, buddy heater, sleeping bags, food, water. Cell service iffy. I camped up there for a week last fall and great fun and good hunting. Moose, swans, geese just made it great. If late in the season you can shower at the truck stop on the highway. I was headed that way but the hunting in SD kept me from crossing the border. Maybe next year.

That area can be very fun to hunt. I hunted that area from about 1992 - 2010. Before the water returned it was fantastic area to hunt. Once the sloughs refilled it was still fine, but much cover was lost. Mostly shorter grasses (huns and sharptails prefer) which lends itself to being able to watch the dogs work.

Man that is remote country though (although I suppose the Bakken has changed it some). Divide and Burke Counties have about 2,000 people each. If there is snow ... take care what roads you travel, keep your gas tank full, and some survival gear in the truck. Odds are you will never need it, but finding help can take some time. Assume cell service is much better now than say 15 years ago.

We were fortunate to know a working farm / ranch in eastern Divide county. Decent private land hunting and someone to call if we had a problem. Helped them drive cattle a couple times to the home place in late October.
Good advice. I lived in eastern ND for over 30 years before I retired from LE and moved out here to western ND. I would come out here to hunt in the Fall, and I learned to keep the tank full and not to walk 50 yards off the trail to take a dump w/o at least a small pack with the gear to get by for a couple days if need be. For deer hunting out here, my loaded Eberlestock pack weighs 40- 50 lbs. If I'm going back in the Breaks it's even a bit more...

Cell service is still iffy out in western ND. Don't bet on it, particularly if you are in hilly country or out in the Badlands. I live roughly 20 miles SW of Dickinson, and it's pretty common to have to stand in a particular place in the house to keep from having a call drop...

Last edited:
Back