Crane Hunting

Reifer

Thinking about trying it. I don't have any decoys, but know where there are few. Anyone ever hunt them? Any advice on places to go. I really want to get my son on one or two. This sounds like a blast.

There used to be alot that stopped at Bonny reservoir, but now that it is drained I am not sure how many will be stoping there. I remember deer hunting out there, sitting in a tree stand and having thousands of cranes flying over me. It was pretty cool to see. I never tried to hunt them but I remember seeing guys shoot some out there.

Try down in Alamosa. At either the Alamosa wildlife refuge (you have to put in for permits to hunt) or the Monte Vista wildlife refuge (same thing, you have to put in for a permit). I have hunted ducks and geese down there off and on for years and I have had cranes fly low enough over us that we could hit them with a rock:eek:

I do not know if I would want my dog retrieving them though as they can serioulsy hurt/injury a dog if they are not 100% dead. If they are cripple then their long beaks/bills whatever are pretty pointy and dangerous.

Greg

Ribeye in the Sky - Best eating waterfowl out there. We have shot them over a couple confidence decoys and small duck dekes. Was right next to a preserve they used as a roost so not sure if the dekes really mattered.

You can tell the first cold front of the year is here. Today is the first day I have seen the cranes headed south over my house in Elizabeth.

They were out thick. We saw a couple hundred over us when we were picking up the dekes at about 10am. Every person I talked to that hunted this morning saw some. They must know something we don't???????

Back