covey headquarters seed

does anyone have a source for quail covey headquarters seed mix? it used to be a QF thing in the early 2000's. it was a mix of false indigo, winged summac, and wild plumb, or similar local variants. trying to establish bare fencerow and hilltop escape cover clusters. i bought bags at a qf banquet years ago, but now can't find any supplier of that type of seed. thanks

You can buy bare-root seedlings of a number of shrubs from Kansas State's Forestry nursery! Get quicker establishment from those over seed.

thanks for the responses. i'm converting some overgrazed droughted upland fescue pastures to warm season grasses with pollinators. i planned 3 acres of indigo, summac, plumb, and blackberry along bare fencelines and open hilltops. Missouri Dept. Conservation sells bare root seedlings, but at 50 cents a seedling x 4,840 seedlings per acre, i will need to rely on some seeds. my plan was to seed clusters of each variety. i found seeds now, but only a rough guess as to seeding rates. drifter, which of these varieties need to be bare root planted, and which have a decent chance from seed?

The plums will need frozen before they will sprout. Other than that, I don't think you will have any special treatments. The reason that folks use bare-root seedlings is to avoid the competition loss on the tiny seedlings. From a quail and pheasant standpoint, a solid 3 acres of shrubs will probably be less beneficial that those 3 acres spread out across a grassland or cropland habitat. 50 ft thickets 50 yards apart would allow quail to flush in any direction and get to cover quickly.

Back