Could We Have More CRP in the near future?

StateCountyPrevious County Average Rental Rate2021 County Average Rental Rate
South DakotaBrown
131​
135​
South DakotaCharles Mix
122​
126​
South DakotaClark
121​
136​
South DakotaClay
185​
183​
South DakotaDay
127​
131​
South DakotaDeuel
159​
159​
South DakotaEdmunds
94​
97​
South DakotaGregory
63​
69​

Data (2019) shows that in most states about 25% +/- 5% of farms DO NOT TAKE ANY FORM OF SUBSIDY.

Current CRP resulted in $ 6 billion being spent in Iowa since the start of the program. Not picking on Iowa. just the state I had numbers for. With little or no long term benefits. My suggestion would result in permanent benefits, with dollars for permanent management. I'm open to all new ideas. But If one of the goals of CRP was wildlife benefits, I think we would all agree it's pretty much failed. not everywhere, or every time, but mostly pretty much failed. we need to do something different.
I do think CRP is a HUGE win for wildlife and espically bird numbers, of the 46 rooster I have harvested this season, way over half have been from CRP fields...have you hunted any CRP lately? These fields are almost instant bird producing factories! The contracts are 10 or 15 years, maybe not long-term, but not what I would call short-term. It is like the government is renting the ground for benefits which might include; improved wildlife habitat and pheasant numbers (CP38), taking HEL ground out of production for erosion and run-off concerns and in some cases reducing production of commodities. The owner maintains the habitat and keeps paying the taxes. How many CRP fields have you hunted and not seen birds....guessing the answer is something like...almost never. Guessing since you don't like or see the benefits of fields of CRP, you feel the same on filter strips or you just group those acres as CRP, which they are.... and no benefits to wildlife or bird numbers??...but those are also full of birds...get out the house, off the computer and try hunting some of these, they are incredible! Some of these are also enrolled as IHAP so you don't even have to bother asking for permission to hunt them. I think we would not have half the bird population we do have, without any CRP programs. Yah, it isn't permanent, is that a big deal? Many of the public acres are the ones that weren't productive and they is why the government owns them, guess they have most of what they are going to get at this point. I love seeing CRP fields I know there will be LOTS of pheasants there. Yes, they don't create the financial stimulus that acres in grain/livestock production do, put that isn't the purpose of them. Those acres can be returned to production if needed. So, I strongly disagree with the statement above as would anyone that has hunted a field of CRP.

Back