copper bullets

If you have a little age on you, then you know we grew up with the core lokt bullets. They have dispatched many an animal. We also know many critters have fallen to the sharp stick. But the OP wants less fragmentation with his bullets. Thankfully, overtime the manufacturers have developed some nice choices for the sportsman. Some of these choices included solid copper and bonded bullets to help reduce or flat out stop fragmentation, especially when contacting bone. Any of these are fine choices. A little more expensive if you buy them loaded. I load Accubonds for a couple friends and they love them. I have seen them fragment a little when hitting bone, but it did what it was designed to do. I load a couple different barnes. The tipped barnes have a little better reliability of opening up to their full potential than the original tripple shock with the small hollow point. I think the newer tsx has been made with a softer copper to help it open up better. I never found one of my tsx bullets until I shot my big elk. I found both of those. All others have left entrance and exit wounds. 2 holes is always good in my opinion. More holes to bleed from. I shot a bull elk that was quartered to me, hitting behind the front left shoulder and traversed his entire body and exited his right hind quarter. Just a small amount of meat damage to the hind quarter. His vitals were decimated..Toad, let us know how your new bullets shoot and good luck to your youngster this season!:cheers:

I sure will. We already have youth season marked on the calendar. :thumbsup:

Thanks everyone for the help.

Although I don't use as many of the Barnes TSX or TTSX as others, I have been impressed with nothing but one-shot DRT's when using them. This includes two deer taken with .25-06 100 TSX, two more with .30-06 130 TSX, one deer/one antelope with .257WBY 100 TTSX, and one antelope with 6.5x280AI 120 TTSX. Another thing noted was besides the quick kills they ruin less meat than any other bullet I've seen in the field.

Well, my daughter never got a shot off in the youth season or the regular rifle season. I filled one of my tags with my rifle and a copper bullet. Worked great! The shot was well placed and the deer was recovered about 30 yards away.

We're hoping to get my daughter on a doe in January, and hopefully the bullets will work just as well for her.

Thanks everyone for your advice, and I'm glad I asked. It's nice knowing there is no lead in the meat. We'll be keeping our fingers crossed for some January doe season snow!

This is an interesting thread. I have used power-lok for my .243 with no issue... But I've only killed one deer since buying that box.

Back