controlled Pheasant Hunting Areas

Not sure which ones your talking about. I hunt Des Plaines, Silver Springs and Chain o lakes. pen raised birds. You purchase permits. I enjoy the hunts. My dog does not know the difference between Wild and Pen and I don’t care either. To me it’s all about watching my 3 SM work.

I think the areas youre talking about are wild birds. Some adjoin to areas that have released birds.
i hunt the released birds every so often but it gets a little old when you have a seasoned bird dog and have had a taste of wild local birds.
I live a mile from COL State Park so I can roll out of bed and be there within minutes. I keep hearing rumblings that the participation at some of the release sites keeps dropping to the point that they are considering closing them down. Sure hope thats not the case.

Well I entered the drawing to hunt the Iroquois area. Was assuming this would be wild birds but now I’m afraid it’s pen raised? Nothin wrong with them? My dog can’t tell the difference but it’s a 2 1/2 hr Drive. I don’t really wanna drive that far unless it’s a wild bird hunt.

HS Strut where are you driving from?
It might be worth a trip to Iowa instead.
I’m in Indiana. Just looking for wild birds. I hunt Iowa, South Dakota and Kansas every year. Just trying to find a place I can hunt for a day or two closer to home.

Not sure which ones your talking about. I hunt Des Plaines, Silver Springs and Chain o lakes. pen raised birds. You purchase permits. I enjoy the hunts. My dog does not know the difference between Wild and Pen and I don’t care either. To me it’s all about watching my 3 SM work.
Hunting Silver Springs tomorrow. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Yes, hunted #2 and shot my 2 birds. I have 3 Small Munsterlanders and hunted 2 of them today. How did your group do?

Our buddy with dog had to leave due to an emergency. We each got one. Had a great guy who limited see us without a dog, and joined us. He had a great dog, flushed 5 more pheasant.

Back