Considering move to Rapid City, SD

Lula's boss

I am considering a move to Rapid City, SD. Does anybody know what the bird hunting is like in that part of the state? My understanding is that the climate there is a little different than in the rest of the state. Thanks for any information and/or opinions.

Where to begin? Rapid City is a great place to live--lots to do, on the eastern edge of the Black Hills, lots of fishing and big game hunting. Now as to the bird hunting: You need to travel about 50 miles to find pheasant (these are SDGF&P sites that our local PF group are working on) there is also good sharptail grouse around--going 100 miles east puts you in decent pheasant country and 150 to 200 puts you in the heart of it. (my farm is 240 miles east). For someone with good dogs and willing to walk day trips from Rapid City should be no problem getting Pheasant,Grouse maybe some Huns. Residents also can hunt deer,elk,Mt. lion,antelope,waterfowl(can be really good). South Dakota is really a sportsmans dream.:thumbsup:

Good luck

I travel there for work a couple times a year and would no doubt relocate if there was bird hunting. The city is awesome, the people are easy going and the landscape is beautiful. I've never fly-fished, hate turkey hunting and don't overly enjoy big game hunting. You'll find stories of black hills grouse but most people there travel east for the upland birds. That being said, businessmen wear cowboy boots instead of dress shoes, Sturgis comes through once a year and the coolest town I've ever been to, Deadwood, is just up the hill. Good luck!

Plan on driving a min of 90-120 miles E to find huntible numbers of wild birds.
Most private land is now pay-hunt in the pheasant belt. WIA's are OK early, but get hit hard through the general season.

As for big-game, 72 lions were culled this spring, but they had already done a LOT of damage to BHills deer/elk numbers.

Nice place to live but tough to make a living unless professional or business owner.

Back