Conibear Traps and Zip Ties

BRITTMAN

My answer in the tools thread, but I though important enough to share on its own.

Conibear Traps and Zip Ties

I have had the extra-long zip ties for many, many years (I suppose almost 10 years now).

Couple of points

... make sure the plastic zip ties have not become brittle with age. Keep out of sunlight.

Test your plastic zip ties at the coldest temperatures that you hunt or maybe the coldest temperature it gets stored at. Plastic has a ductile-brittle transition temperature ... if the plastic enters its "glassy" brittle phase ... it may break when you most need it.

Buy a conibear trap and practice opening the trap that has been set on a log or stuffed animal. It takes some practice to understand the release mechanism. It has been a very long time since I practiced this ... suppose I should soon.

Testing will also ensure you are carrying zip ties that are long enough and strong enough to actually work and open the trap.

I have never seen a conibear trap in pheasant country but have seen them in water sets in forest land. I have also seen a cubby-set or two over time ... again quite some time ago. The conibear trap seems much more prevalent in ruffed grouse country or pheasant country bordered by lots of woodlots and forests. Does not mean they are not out their on ag land - CRP pheasant country property.

Last edited:
Back