Commands

metz

I have a 11 week old BLM and I hunt pheasants, quail, ducks, geese. He is out of PL stock, and appears to have that tendency.

I plan to train the following commands (not requests):

No - stop what you are doing.
Here - come to me now.
Heel - walk on my left and stay with me.
Sit- sit down and sit squarely.
Kennel - get in there.
Go pee - relieve yourself.
Fetch- go get that (anything reasonable but mostly bumpers/birds).
Hold- hold on to it.
Give- release it to me.
Whoa- stand still and don't move. (used for honoring another dogs point, steadying, stop to flush etc... not for standing game).
Hup/Dogs Name - release from whoa/heel/sit etc...
Whistle commands - Beep/whoa, BeepBeep/Release, BeepMultiple/Here
Blind retrieves- ? Verbal, hand and whistle?

I will eventually get another GSP and would like to have the capability of running them together in any situation and not confuse either one.

I see many trainers release their dogs for a fetch on the dogs name. This is apparently to prevent confusion when working with multiple dogs. I was thinking of using the dogs name as a release for whoa, sit, heel, etc...? Hup would release everybody that was under a command whereas using a name would isolate the release to that individual dog.

Questions:
1. Anyone see any problem with using each dog's name for release, getting his attention and to send on a retrieve?
2. Would it be confusing for a dog to use his name for a release from whatever command you are under and also to fetch or get his attention?
3. Not sure what to do on the whistle commands. From above you can see what I used on my GSP prior (all upland work). But I'm not sure what whistle commands to teach a dog used for upland and blind retrieves. If I could have my GSP on the same commands that would be good. Anyone see good whistle command program for upland work/blind retrieves even if I have a GSP someday?
4. What whistle commands do you teach?
5. What are the verbal, hand, whistle commands for blind retrieves?

Thank you!

Generally a dogs is released on a marked retrieve by name, and back for blinds. I use "all done" to release from a sit or down. I used to use "ok" until I realized how often it was used in normal conversation. I use dead bird as a que to hunt dead/trail. And good old "hunt em up" when entering a field

Hup means sit and don't move until released with a different command, it's not a release command

no and whoa sound alike so to avoid and confusion I use "ah ah ah", for "no", when I want them to not mess with something or knock off whatever they are doing. It takes using it on a regular basis for it to become a natural thing to say, but they really react nicely to a harsh "ah ah ah"

I release from whoa, hup, or a unproductive point with a gentle tap on the head and the verbal "OK" , that way later you can move to just using verbal OK when the dog is somewhere you don't want to walk down to, like the other side of a creek or down in a ditch

Back