Colorado - Week 6

Once again i found myself and cousin driving out east at O dark thirty to chase pheasant with high hopes of flushes and great retrieves. First two WIA's produced nothing so off to private property. Weather was not bad, little warm but the wind and cloud cover kept the temp down which was good for the dogs. Working our way to the peak of the two crop circles we thought we were in a better position then last week just in case the birds were at the point again which they were and like last week we were just a bit to far back but we still let the lead fly along with the birds. Continued to walk the wheat to the road anticipating a flush at the edge since the dogs were birdy way before getting there. Standing at the edge with nothing coming up makes you wonder where they went, we turned right and 20 yards later two points and two hens. Back to the truck for a quick bite and off to another corner where my cousin shoot what was the smallest rooster we have seen in a long time but still a rooster and a bird in the vest. He flushed in between the dogs and him just at his feet giving him a close shot with his shot finding its way through the back of the birds head and my cousin saying "bead on the head, bead on the head". On to the next spot a ditch leading to a dry holding pond where as we were getting out of the truck two rooster flushed just in front of us. Once the dogs were out and we were moving down the ditch my GSP went on point and up flew the rooster leaving me hesitating due to the sun that had started to show thru the clouds but giving my cousin another good shot which he connected with. I would like to say the roosters kept flushing but that didn't happen, another WIA, two tree lines, and a weedy corn edge produced nothing but two tired hunters and three worn out pups.

I saw more hunters on Saturday then i did on opening weekend. It spent more time looking for fields to hunt then I did hunting. Time for me to look for some new spots as my old hot spots are now over hunted spots.

Went out for the first time this season in Haxtun area...Surprised to see the amount of hunters out on Monday..Miserable day with snow and high winds, big snow drifts across roads..Saw even more hunters on tuesday. Only thing close enough to shoot were hens. Did see roosters but couldn't get shots. A lot of the WIA didn't even look promising. Many if the fields I walked did not show signs of birds. Fresh snow and not even tracks in most of the WIA's. Because of a lot less WIA's this season there are alswo even fewer WiA' with good cover.. I also see some of the good fields left after the snow to get hunted hard the rest of the season. Saw enough rooster to still want to go again, but also know how much tougher it is going to get. Probably 80% of the roosters I saw were on posted private property.Still enjoyed the country..Always great sunrises and sunsets..Work is keeping me to busy to get out more...Hope to get out a couple more times before the end of the season. Would enjoy the opportunity to meet up with some of you along the way...Enjoy the holidays,,,safe travels..

Decided to go out to Holyoke on Tuesday with a friend and my semi-trained lab, hoping the fresh snow would help hold the birds a little tighter than early in the season and we were not let down. We saw birds from sun up to sun down. Though most of them were on posted land but, it was good to see birds compared to the last couple of seasons. We did find at least 2 or 3 birds in most of the WIA?s we walked through.
Due to my poor shooting and a new gun that I have not switched the safety button from right handed to left handed I missed several roosters. My buddy was able to bag one bird. We had success tracking several birds in the snow which was something I have never done. All in all it was great day.

We headed out to Kansas on Week 6. On Saturday, I overslept (first time ever!) and didn't leave the house until the time I should have been arriving in KS. Arrived in Atwood around 1:00 - hunted the rest of the afternoon and only saw one rooster as we were walking back along the road.

On Sunday the first field turned up nothing. We then headed north of Oberlin, and then the rain started. Within 15 min a sprinkle turned into a flood. :laugh: The powder dry roads turned into slick slop. It did not appear that the rain was going to let up, and we decided to call it a day.

Oberlin received nearly an inch of rain and Atwood had almost an inch and a half.

I headed out, with hopes of hunting my way back home to Colorado. While driving home I was listening to the radio and heard the forecast for Yuma county, 4 - 8 inches of snow with 45MPH wind. With that in mind, I kept on driving west on icy/snow covered HWY 36.

:cheers:

We headed out to Kansas on Week 6. On Saturday, I overslept (first time ever!) and didn't leave the house until the time I should have been arriving in KS. Arrived in Atwood around 1:00 - hunted the rest of the afternoon and only saw one rooster as we were walking back along the road.

On Sunday the first field turned up nothing. We then headed north of Oberlin, and then the rain started. Within 15 min a sprinkle turned into a flood. :laugh: The powder dry roads turned into slick slop. It did not appear that the rain was going to let up, and we decided to call it a day.

Oberlin received nearly an inch of rain and Atwood had almost an inch and a half.

I headed out, with hopes of hunting my way back home to Colorado. While driving home I was listening to the radio and heard the forecast for Yuma county, 4 - 8 inches of snow with 45MPH wind. With that in mind, I kept on driving west on icy/snow covered HWY 36.

Hopefully the moisture will benefit the future of bird hunting in those areas. Next year if you do not get out again !!!

No doubt about the moisture!

As I was driving between Oberlin and Atwood, I was thinking "this is a lot of rain for any time of the year".

I plan to get out for a few more hunts before the end of the season ... hopefully!

Back