Colorado - Week 3

CO_Weimar

Mrs. COWeimar and I headed to northeast Colorado on Saturday. Being the smart one, she opted out of going last weekend (cold, windy). We took along two or our three boys. Dakota is our pro, and he put up a nice rooster for me in the morning. Cowboy is our youngster, he did a fine job, pointing really well on a hen down in a dry creek bottom.

Cowboy and I were both caught off guard by one rooster. We had just finished working a corner. I was just about to offer him some water as he was coming in to me ... and a rooster popped up in between us. :eek: A short while later, in the same wheat stubble field, Cowboy let his youthful enthusiasm get the best of him ... he was a bit too excited and was pushing running birds out of the wheat stubble, across the road. He will figure it out, one day. Next time I will call him in, calm him down and send him out. It was good to see him excited and hunting hard.

All in all, it was a good day.

Dakota
15673175758_0a73083858_z.jpg

Rooster
15860694485_76f3e3d48e_z.jpg

Mrs. COWeimar and her baby, Cowboy :)
15241044473_120acabb10_z.jpg

Cowboy
15834880716_4de99f1ed6_z.jpg

Last edited:
thanks for the pics, i also headed out Saturday for some fun in the sun like you we were in a shirt due to the temperature. Orley was going thru the water but she did great with several points. She did her job and i fell short of mine with only getting one when i should have had my three by 9:30. The first part of the day the birds flushed around me and the second part of the day they were around my cousin who did not take lessons from me and harvested three by the days end. The breeze was nice and i think helped us by holding the birds tight for most all of the flushes were within shooting range which makes my misses even more frustrating. Planning on heading out again this Friday and again they are predicting high temps so lots of water for the girls and hopefully more opportunity for me to figure out what i am doing wrong which i think is just hurrying the shot and not looking down the barrel and getting on the bird before pulling the trigger.

thanks for the pics, i also headed out Saturday for some fun in the sun like you we were in a shirt due to the temperature. Orley was going thru the water but she did great with several points. She did her job and i fell short of mine with only getting one when i should have had my three by 9:30. The first part of the day the birds flushed around me and the second part of the day they were around my cousin who did not take lessons from me and harvested three by the days end. The breeze was nice and i think helped us by holding the birds tight for most all of the flushes were within shooting range which makes my misses even more frustrating. Planning on heading out again this Friday and again they are predicting high temps so lots of water for the girls and hopefully more opportunity for me to figure out what i am doing wrong which i think is just hurrying the shot and not looking down the barrel and getting on the bird before pulling the trigger.

Thanks for the report and good luck on Friday. High temps again then? Sheesh its the end of November! Would like to see some decent snow in eastern CO sometime this season but sure does not seem to be in the cards. :(

The past two weekends have seen some wind and i think that has helped us get close to the birds so even though it shows upper sixties this Friday I'm hoping for some wind. The cold weather will be here soon enough which brings on different hunting tactics, both are fun trying to out smart those wiley birds.

Northeast Colorado last Thursday

Gorgeous day last Thursday as we hunted some private and walk-in properties.
My buddy and I less dogs put up 10 birds as they were holding pretty well.
Unfortunately, all but one were hens and we both shot and missed the rooster.
Thus, skunkage for each of us......Oh well.:rolleyes:

I took Blitz out on Monday ... we saw a lot of birds, but none were within shooting range.

I wanted to cry after 15 minutes in the first field. :laugh: I took Blitz along the edge of a field (also the WIA boundary) A hen popped up, about 50 yards out, she proceeded to fly down the length of a barbed wire fence, that had caught a "herd" of tumbleweed. As the hen flew along the fence, she alerted the rest of the birds and one by one they flushed out of the field. It was like the flushing pheasant version of dominoes!

We worked a few more fields, and saw more birds flushing out of range. The temps were just right - mid 30s but windy - the husks were flying and the tumbleweed was rolling.

Anyhow, it was a good day - would have been better with some birds in the bag!

:cheers:

I will hunt in about any weather but high temps and/or wind are my least favorite - neither one is conducive to good hunting conditions with dogs. I will not run mine long in upper 60's temps. :(

I'm hoping for cooler and wetter....

Back