Colorado - Week 12

One more down and only one more to go. Saturday found us dressing for a hot day and it didn't disappoint us with temps reaching 56 and going through a lot of water for the dogs and us. Started the morning with a WIA but put nothing up so off to the next field, another WIA and another bird less field. Went over to the private property and walked a wheat field that we did not know was part of the land owners property but it was just a nature walk, off to the corrals. Nothing in the corrals and nothing in the west wheat fields makes you start to wonder if this was the day we strike out. Over to the east fields where we finally found a group of pheasants mostly hens but that's great to see for next year. Walking towards the west the dogs got a bit ahead of us and bumped two roosters bringing us back to alert status and telling ourselves not to let your guard down. Back to the truck for lunch and a few minutes to rest before heading back out to finish off the field. We were pushing towards the end and with no indication of my GSP getting birdy i let her get out to far in front of me and she pointed two roosters that held for a second before taking to the air leaving me mad at myself for doing this twice in one day. We headed to another property and his tree line where my cousin shot the longest rooster we both have ever seen. When we got home he measured the bird from beak to tip of the tail it was 38 1/2" with a 25 1/2" tail and 1/2" spurs, just a monster of a bird. We walked another tree line with a rooster flushing at the end giving me a left to right shot which i missed. Off to the last property where before i could get into position 2 rooster and 5 hens flushed out of the tall weeds. This was the most birds we have seen on this property all year which was nice since we usually find them here. One other small weedy patch with nothing flushing and us calling it a day.

The weather this morning looks good for our annual final day hunt so hopefully it stays that way but it really doesn't matter we will be out there just like we always are.

Back