Colorado Scalies?

bones

Given the drought and tough conditions for the pheasants is anyone switching to chasing Scalies? Just figured since they are more of a desert arid ground type bird they may have weathered the conditions better.

Also not looking for honey holes just wondering a general direction to head from the Springs. I know they are supposed to be around Pueblo reservoir and also have heard of an area around Holly; just some thoughts there. Also if anyone wants to try and chase them with me I have a dog (actually should say 10 month old pup).

I have shot them in south Texas but cover looks totally different here. Down in Texas we found 'em in the brush country where everything has a sticker and you always have to watch for buzz worms. Also no crops for them to feed on, unless you count deer feeders.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

I have seen a couple of covies down at the pueblo SWA. If you would like im from the springs as well, so we could get together and head down there. I have a 15 month old GSP that we can hunt over as well.

PM Sent...Gotta leave some for me!:rolleyes:

No not rude, perfectly understand. But if you did show me, I would'nt be showing anyone else and I'd drive and catch lunch too.

Have a Good 'Urn,
bones

My buddy is a land owner (50,000 acres) outside of Hugo. When we were hunting dove earlier this year, I saw 3 coveys of scaled quail. He gave me the OK to hunt them. I will let everyone know how Pride and I do.

pm me i know a couple spots we found them in the past.one year there was scaled quail no bob whites, next year bob whites no scales.
the scales are cyclical when the cycles up they're easy to find ,when its down its like they disappear.its okay if you take/tell your friends,you still gotta look for them theres alot of public land out there and you wont dig through all of it in a season(or 20 seasons)

My buddy is a land owner (50,000 acres) outside of Hugo. When we were hunting dove earlier this year, I saw 3 coveys of scaled quail. He gave me the OK to hunt them. I will let everyone know how Pride and I do.

50K acres? Is your buddy the US Government by chance?

Nada....4th generation cattle guy. Super nice guy and a good friend. He guided me on a speed goat hunt earlier in the year. He got me a 225 yard shot on a nice buck. Missed a bit high. He offers hunts to many worthwhile charities. Very generous with his time.

Back