Colorado Retriever Trainer

Hunter1971

I was just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a retriever trainer in Colorado. I live in the Frederick/Longmont area and have a Golden Retriever that my wife and I would like to have trained for both waterfowl and some upland.

Thanks for any responses! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the information retrvrman!! :thumbsup:

He's 8 months old. He won't be used for trials, just duck/goose hunting and pheasants. I have my Setter to do the majority of my pheasant work, so I'll use the retriever duck and goose hunting, but when my wife comes with me chasing pheasants she wants to bring him along as well. Maybe we can pitch us some wily roosters at some point?? :D

He retrieves whatever we throw on land great! So now I'm looking for a trainer that will introduce him to water, gun fire, and birds properly. He'll just be our family dog and another handy hunting buddy.

Last edited:
I have a question then. If all you want him for is waterfowl hunting, water work, gunfire, and birds, then look for a retriever club to join up in your area and see when they are training. Unless you do not have the time yourself and you have the $$ to send him to a trainer for a few months.

At 8 months old (not sure of his breeding), if he is retrieving on land and loves it. Then just take him out to a small piece of water (not the river) and throw a bumper or his favorite ball etc (remember you may have to go in with him so bring your waders, might attach the bumper/ball etc to a rope or string just in case he doesn't bring it back at first)....start in shallow water with him, then get a little further out each time. If he really, really loves to retrieve, he will get in after it.

There is a little bit more to gunfire (need a blank pistol or shotgun with popper shells) Heck you could even use a cap gun to start. Pigeons are always a good bird to get pups started.

Not sure of the club close to your area but I know there are some in the Denver/metro area.

Good luck,
Greg

I was introduced to a man with a ~5 year old Weimaraner that he adopted from a neighbor who could no longer care for the dog. He was interested in hunting and AKC hunt tests with his Weim. He knew that she had a strong prey drive. Long story short, we did basically what you described below as a first introduction. The man had never seen her swim before. After doing some work with other dogs on retrieving dogs, while his Weim watched, we tossed a duck out into the lake for her ... she jumped right in, swam like a pro and got her bird. She brought it back to shore and with a little convincing retrieved the duck.

I have a question then. If all you want him for is waterfowl hunting, water work, gunfire, and birds, then look for a retriever club to join up in your area and see when they are training. Unless you do not have the time yourself and you have the $$ to send him to a trainer for a few months.

At 8 months old (not sure of his breeding), if he is retrieving on land and loves it. Then just take him out to a small piece of water (not the river) and throw a bumper or his favorite ball etc (remember you may have to go in with him so bring your waders, might attach the bumper/ball etc to a rope or string just in case he doesn't bring it back at first)....start in shallow water with him, then get a little further out each time. If he really, really loves to retrieve, he will get in after it.

There is a little bit more to gunfire (need a blank pistol or shotgun with popper shells) Heck you could even use a cap gun to start. Pigeons are always a good bird to get pups started.

Not sure of the club close to your area but I know there are some in the Denver/metro area.

Good luck,
Greg

There are several around your area. You might try Julie Knutson at http://www.gunclub-labs.com/

I have heard good things about her.

Kenny Trott is another: http://www.horsetoothretrievers.com/Horsetooth_Retriever_Kennel/Welcome.html

He specializes in field trials. How old is your dog?

Good luck with your search....

Greg

Greg, You are right on the MONEY! If Julie can't handle the dog it go's in the old mans field trial truck for training. I work with a dog they trained, all I can say is they do a GREAT JOB with them.

Back