Colorado- Joe's Area?

bpowell

Curious to know if anyone has hunted Joe's/Idalia area in Co in the last couple of years? How was it- ie numbers and cover?

Looking to go with my two boys and dog. Any experience or insight would be appreciated.

What can one expect out in that area on opening weekend with good weather?

you can expect to see other hunters and at times heavy hunting traffic. The bird numbers are way down just like all of Colorado and the fields are in poor condition, some have been part of the emergency hay cutting or have been removed from the walk in program compared to past years. best advice is find cover next to food and water and just walk.

good luck

I'm taking my son out to that area this weekend and will meet up with some guys from work in the afternoon.

I've been looking over the maps, google earth and have a plan A, B, C and D...just in case there are a lot of people there already.

I figure it can't be any more crowded than fly fishing Deckers, the Dream Stream or 11-mile canyon.

I have hunted this area quite a bit over the years. It has some really nice fields located close to corn. Well last year they pretty much cut every CRP field to back yard lawn height. With that being said the huntable walk in properties have pretty much been reduced to a couple of fields. Those couple of fields did have some birds in it but they also had a lot of hunting pressure. If you do go there expect to have a lot of company and not a lot of room to work.

Well then, I actually think I may hold off for now. Perhaps wait for the snow to fly and give what birds are left to find best cover. It just sounds like the there is no cover in the walkin fields with too much pressure on opening weekend.

Please let me know if anyone does go out there and what you found for birds, cover etc.

thanks,

Lot's of short grass cover. The few taller fields held birds. Saw 11, 5 roosters 6 hens. It's tough hunting w/ out a dog. I'd imagine it won't take many weekends before the birds hole up on private property with no pressure. Oh yeah, doing 80 in a 65 will result in a hefty fine as found out by a friend of a friend that joined us today. Also, game wardens were checking us before we even got our guns out to hunt and this was at around 6:10 this morning. Only Infraction, my son hadn't signed his license. My fault completely, I bought it for him and forgot before putting it in my wallet.

There was a lot of hunters early, not many after noon but the fields had been covered hard by then.

Back