Colorado Blues

I had a non hunting friend in town last weekend, so went to a couple of spots close to home for an hour or so. Didn’t see any birds Saturday, saw one on Sunday but no shot. Warmest September I remember in 30 plus years - the highs were hotter than July. Maybe this weekend a cooldown…Nonetheless, beautiful hiking around the mountains with my girls!!

AA2CF27F-AD42-45C6-83D9-3B4503DC90D3.jpeg
Missed/saw more birds then most people see in a season last night. Really tough shooting as they were all in the trees.
It’s funny, you hike into an area thinking it’s all to yourself and then see this guy.

Went out again over the weekend with much better success. The birds were definitely lower in elevation and we managed to bag 2. Saw way more, but flushed on the other side of trees, too close to cliffs, etc. 20 degrees Sunday morning felt really good!!

We had a hell of trip last weekend! Saw more grouse in 4 days than I could keep track of, 50 plus is my guess. Saw good dog work from the old dogs and lots of effort and promise from the pup. Cool weather came in on day 2 which was a real relief. Moving some thing’s around to get back up soon. We marched hard I’m not saying it was an easy hunt, but efforts more than payed off. Good luck to all, if this hunt is on your list this would be an excellent year to give it a shot!

Went out yesterday for a couple hour hunt. Beautiful morning-crisp cool air and bright blue sky combined with the latest peak foliage I remember in 32 years. A lot of the cover has layed over so the birds are concentrated more in the trees which makes the shooting more challenging. Overall a great day to be outside with my 4 legged friends!

Great day yesterday. Perfect weather and the leaves are amazing. Even after some snow and several frosts I saw tons of hoppers out in the meadows.
Great dog work resulted in 1 shot, 1 missed and 1 I let go as it flushed directly at me to the point I had to duck. B5FA7C76-6BC6-4601-9FD0-ABC7ACB3B42A.jpegE7691D60-4E11-4686-8A0E-2D414D1084B9.jpeg

I che
Great day yesterday. Perfect weather and the leaves are amazing. Even after some snow and several frosts I saw tons of hoppers out in the meadows.
Great dog work resulted in 1 shot, 1 missed and 1 I let go as it flushed directly at me to the point I had to duck. View attachment 4255I check all my grouse and I’ve never seen that many hoppers, it’s always a mix… good picture and info!

Reactions: dag
Back