Colorado Blues

Chessie 67

Went hunting this morning to my honey hole looking for Blue (Dusky) Grouse. Pretty amazing. I saw more birds there than I have seen in about 15 years. Limited out in a bit over an hour after 3 big flushes. All young of the year birds, all around the same elevation (10800). About 20 birds in those flushes. Flushed about 10 more on the way back to the truck. Dogs were loving it!!!

I would if I could, but I’m a little technologically challenged and have not yet figured out how to load a photo!

There they are! And a good pic! I will try to get a few more pics this season to post. Are they good eating?

They are good eating. I eat the breast meat only; legs and thighs are really full of tendons and such. I like to cube them up and fry em up in a pan. Keeps them moist!

Good job Chessie. We got out for the 14th annual hill climb on Sept 1st. We covered about 5 miles and of course like usual got into two coveys 1/2 mile from the truck. I doubled on the first covey rise with a picked up spare on the second covey. My hunting partner did exactly the opposite.EC1145DB-A565-4818-B345-B2E0283DE2FB.jpeg

Last edited:
Just got back from a week in grouse country with my family. Grouse numbers are looking good where we were. Lots of broods where we were but the broods were on the smaller size (2-3 young birds per covey). Made for good dog work and fun taking one bird per covey with the occasional large male. 7AB4B28E-AB1A-43FD-BA91-AE97CA9E0F4A.jpegFD62BB4C-6FE0-4531-877F-80E8D9115653.jpeg

They’re not blues but took our limit of Sage Grouse Saturday morning. One very large covey, four shots, and finished before 7:30am. Kind of glad it was quick as it got hot early. Scrubbed a chance for a blue hunt. Never want to over heat a dog.A6F50042-EB02-403F-81C1-128BC419AFEE.jpeg

Nicely done! We started hunting around 8 am Saturday and it was pretty cool, 39 i think. It did warm up real quick and was almost relieved that we had no bird encounters the last 40 minutes or sO of our hunt. My 11 year old thought she was a puppy again for some reason and was going nuts. We were done by 10:30 before it got too warm and all was good. Beautiful day.

Went out yesterday for (probably) my last grouse hunt of the season. 3” of fresh snow on the ground, beautiful day. Birds were in the pine trees, thick pine trees. Managed to get one; most of the flushes were only heard and not seen. Tons of fun!

Back