Colorado 2015-16 Week 2

Let me just start by saying "WOW what a day". Saturday morning started out with the roads out of Denver a bit slippery taking a little longer to get to Limon to meet. We started the day at a WIA where after a short walk my GSP pointed the first rooster of the day falling to my shot. Once in my hands I was amazed at how long the tail feathers were, one of the longest I've shot. To our surprise that was the only bird found in that WIA so off to the next spot. Another WIA and again to our surprise no birds just two does bolting from the high grass. My cousin and I said enough of this lets go to our private property. After talking to the land owner we headed out into the stripped wheat field, with in the first 100 yards the first rooster flushed and fell to the ground. As we started walking again we could see the pheasant flying into the wheat from the cut corn ahead of us making us think this is going to get good. It did with all three dogs pointing, flushing and going berserk with all the pheasant. When it calmed down we each had another one giving us 2 each. Headed back to the truck to get more water and a quick bite to eat then headed for the tree line where four more roosters fled the trees and were able to avoid the shot flying at them which should have our limit.
With smiles and happy pups we headed to another wheat field and once around the first corner three hens had flushed and with an awesome point from my cousins 1 1/2 year old pointing lab a low flying rooster blasted out of the wheat escaping the shots. Not more then 40 yards the second rooster jumps and with both of us shooting the bird came crashing down, One more and we are done.
Headed to the truck and a short drive to the opposite side of the property put us walking a power line and wheat field, not 150 yards into it the last rooster is being retrieved while a lucky rooster flushed at my cousins feet leaving us laughing and celebrating our end of the day, it was 12:30 in the afternoon. This was the first time we both limited and were able to head for home so early.
So with such an amazing day and seeing the number of birds just in this one area we wondered what the other properties we get to hunt will be like but I guess that will have to wait for another day.

A great day for you and your hunting buddy!:)

There are days when we win and days when the pheasant wins!:p

Thanks for sharing your experience and go out and get them again!:10sign:

Back