Coldest hunt you've been on

When I was much younger and more foolish I hunted one New Years with a wind chill of 60 below. Don’t remember the exact temp but 60 below has always stuck my head. A pheasant trip to Iowa, funny how it didn’t seem to bother my lab one bit

Been on too many of those sub zero hunts to recall the worst, and as web guy said, the hands and feet are the victims; the hands especially for me. Never experienced a true white out until hunts in SD. about 7-8 years ago a big storm was coming in, and the wind was cranking. The snow started and it was close to white out conditions; there were three of us hunting about a 40 acre rectangular parcel, with a road on the north and west side; my son came into the property on the west side, our buddy on the east, and I went thru the center. I made it to the south end of the field and turned around. About that time I saw a rooster flying into to this cover from across the north road. out of a tree line. He never saw me and landed about 40 yards away, in sparce cover. Had my black lab Barley with me and we were able to get about 20-25 yards away from the bird before he saw us. Pheasants have remarkable eyesight, and would never do this in normal conditions. Our hunt for the day was over after that field, the cold & drifting on those back roads (any roads for that matter) can get dangerous quick. This topic reminded me of that experience, and two other whites outs while afield out there

Wind chill values today are measured different than the formula meteorologists used before 2001. The wind chills of the past were much colder than the current wind chills.

Yesterday here it was 64 rained for about 20 hrs. I can't stand it any longer gonna try and get the pup in some birds today

Must be wind chill based.

February 2,1996 was the coldest instrument-measured temperature on record for the state of Minnesota. A location in St. Louis County, 3 miles south of Tower, recorded -60 degrees F on February 2, 1996.

Yah, I think Washta might still hold the record low temp in Iowa...those folks need something to be prourd of...not much happening there normally....but they do have some good habitat near by!

December ‘83, we didn’t have a thermometer with us but we went 25 days straight not getting above Zero and temps were in the -20s at night. Coffee from the thermos would freeze over in just a few minutes and we left the car running when we hunted in case it didn’t want to start up again.

It is a good story, but you might get called-out on that one. I can remember a cold snap that was a big deal when we didn't get above freezing (32*) for almost a month way back when. Not sure your thinking right about "not getting above ZERO in IOWA of 25 days", maybe google that. If you think about it, it is kind of unusal to not get the high temp for a day above 0* in Iowa, just saying it might not be as you remember it. In 1996 it looks like Des Moines was below zero for 132 hours, almost 6 days. Maybe it was wind chill conditions, maybe older than I am imgining, maybe you should have had a thermometer. I am sure it was cold!

It is a good story, but you might get called-out on that one. I can remember a cold snap that was a big deal when we didn't get above freezing (32*) for almost a month way back when. Not sure your thinking right about "not getting above ZERO in IOWA of 25 days", maybe google that. If you think about it, it is kind of unusal to not get the high temp for a day above 0* in Iowa, just saying it might not be as you remember it. In 1996 it looks like Des Moines was below zero for 132 hours, almost 6 days. Maybe it was wind chill conditions, maybe older than I am imgining, maybe you should have had a thermometer. I am sure it was cold!
You can Google it if you want. The warmest day that month had a high of 32 degrees. That was in Omaha. Possibly it was 25 days not getting above freezing. I can tell you that on the acreage where I lived, the temps are consistently 7 degrees colder than the reading in Omaha.

Back