Cold Winter Nights

My first year in AK I wintered on Badger Road outside of Fairbanks. We hit minus 60 at times that winter and the northern lights actually made noise. I still enjoy the lights.
I moved from Moscow Idaho to near Fairbanks in 1993.
I missed the terrible winter of 1992.
That first fall of 1993 I hunted grouse, expecting a big dump of snow to end it all like early Sept 1992.
The 1993 winter weather forecast was for -60F, but it clouded over so I never saw -60s in 30 years.
The one thing I did like about climate warming was a longer waterfowl season.
When I hunted Minto Flats in the 1990s we hoped to hunt that last weekend in September,
but sometimes the marshes froze up by then. Now with cimate warming we typically do
not see marsh freeze up until mid-October.
oldtimer.jpg

I moved from Moscow Idaho to near Fairbanks in 1993.
I missed the terrible winter of 1992.
That first fall of 1993 I hunted grouse, expecting a big dump of snow to end it all like early Sept 1992.
The 1993 winter weather forecast was for -60F, but it clouded over so I never saw -60s in 30 years.
The one thing I did like about climate warming was a longer waterfowl season.
When I hunted Minto Flats in the 1990s we hoped to hunt that last weekend in September,
but sometimes the marshes froze up by then. Now with cimate warming we typically do
not see marsh freeze up until mid-October.
View attachment 7439
I moved to Fairbanks in spring of 75. That first year it was minus 42 on Halloween and after it got seriously cold. The next year I moved to Goldstream where I was above the ice fog. About 85 I moved to the Kenai for better fishing and seldom seeing anything worse than minus 30. In the 70s and 80s I always went Minto around the 12th, the flocks from up north seemed to stack into there at that time.

Back