Cold Weekend Hunts

Got out for about 3 hours on Saturday. Cold and wind-burnt but good to see birds in big coveys and good dog work. Peach my little setter is getting better everyday. She had a real nice stylish point and find for my buddy across the fence. I say find because she hasn't quite caught on to retrieving. She doesn't get long to think about it before one of the other dogs make the steal so gonna have to take her by herself a little bit in the next few days. I think she will get it just needs some more action with no other dogs around. Found 2 coveys. Only hunted about 80 acres of the farm. Sunday went back east and hunted. Found plenty of birds but were very spooky. Surprising because the day before they held really tight. They were running too more than I've ever seen! Everytime they got up it seemed like they were in pretty thick stuff. Hunted from about 9:30-2 and found 4 good coveys, put a couple on the ground but we should have done much better. Saw probably 20 rabbits as well. Most Ive seen in one spot this season.

Nice job on shooting the males! :thumbsup:
Hunted Saturday on private ground and both coveys we got into were extremely wild.

Im on a streak. I have killed 14 males in a row without killing a female. Have had to pass up a few.

Hopefully. I stopped my streak at 23 males in a row. My little setter pointed a single all alone away from the other dogs. It was a female and I knew it, but I had to pop it for her. Her first year in the field and she still has a ways to go.

Back