Colby,Oakley area

Tucker

4 of us went out this weekend. Got up Saturday morning at 1st light (were not real early risers like we used to be) sat around drinking coffee than made some breakfast got out of the house around 9. 1st field is about 5 minutes away, WIHA, 3 of us go thru, dog gets out way in front and kicks up 75-100 birds! They went every direction except at us. Hit up several smaller areas and kept kicking up 6-12 birds every time but could not get off any shots. Finally got 1 as I was walking back to get the truck thru an area we just walked.

Brother-in-law suggested a treeline down the road, with the direction the wind was howling it should be perfect. He and his partner stopped at one end me and my dad at the other. We all got out and stepped in and all hell broke loose. I shoot an O/U and I got off 6 clean shots with 6 clean misses in record time. When I shoot to fast I shoot behind em every time. I didn't feel bad because everyone else all missed also We all just stood there with big ol smiles on our faces. We figured there were again 75-100 birds!

Got a couple more that afternoon and Sunday morning before heading home. Had a great time! I love it out there.

Thanks for the story. :10sign: It sounds like you had a great time! I've been wanting to head out to the Colby area, but just haven't had the opportunity. Reports like this gives me confidence that bird numbers are good in the area, and makes me regret not making a trip out this year.

For starts, Tucker is a fine name. That's my Vizslas name! Great story. I wish I was there just to see the birds. That is a 4 season hunt here to see that many birds. I'm sure, no doubt, that I would have missed also! Was a great picture in my mind. Thanks for keeping me into it, it makes the long, cold season go by much quicker.
Thanks Again for sharing! Rod

That's great news thank you!! Did you hear how the birds were doing 45 minutes S of there? Say, the Scott City area.....heading there this weekend if I get at least one optimistic report from the area. If there aren't any birds there, I'll shave a couple of hours off the drive for my last day of the season.

Thanks in advance!

We mainly stay in the same area every trip. Brother-in-law picked up a small house for a great price several years ago and we don't venture far from it. Have not heard of other reports farther south.

As for the name Tucker, that was the name of my 13 yo yellow lab that just passed away 12-30-08. I miss you buddy!

Sorry to hear that! I lost my Shorthair, 6 yo last Sept. Know how you feel!

Back