Coconut Oil - removes cockleburs!

A5 Sweet 16

My springer Ace gets cockleburs (and similar sticker varieties) in his arm pits. They work themselves way up tight to the skin. Ace tells me in no uncertain terms that it's quite sensitive up there, especially after being chafed by stickers for awhile. Funny he never complains while we're hunting. 🤷‍♂️ Anyhow, COCONUT OIL is magic stuff! Just work some into the hair around the sticker. They don't just fall right out, but it's MUCH easier. The process is still seemingly painful, but over with much more quickly, easily, & with tons less frustration. Also works good in his ears. In fact, I figured why not just oil his ears up & see if it makes it easier to brush them out? (what with all the little sticker bits, seeds, matted fur, etc.) Yes, it does. Much easier!

Very good to know, Thanks for the tip. My pup doesn’t get them to bad anywhere else but the ears can be an absolute nightmare sometimes. Unfortunately she does not like them to be brushed but doesn’t mind me picking each thing or tangle out one at a time🤪 I can tell when’s she had enough and then we take a break and circle back awhile later.

Have had springers for close to 40 years had never heard of using coconut oil. Have tried putting vaseline on their ears, sprayed pam on them and both worked but left a mess to clean up after the hunt. Now I clip the ears before the season starts and that usually solves burrs on the ears. I also carry one of those plastic letter openers just in case the tail or feathers get matted.

My springer Ace gets cockleburs (and similar sticker varieties) in his arm pits. They work themselves way up tight to the skin. Ace tells me in no uncertain terms that it's quite sensitive up there, especially after being chafed by stickers for awhile. Funny he never complains while we're hunting. 🤷‍♂️ Anyhow, COCONUT OIL is magic stuff! Just work some into the hair around the sticker. They don't just fall right out, but it's MUCH easier. The process is still seemingly painful, but over with much more quickly, easily, & with tons less frustration. Also works good in his ears. In fact, I figured why not just oil his ears up & see if it makes it easier to brush them out? (what with all the little sticker bits, seeds, matted fur, etc.) Yes, it does. Much easier!
Brent: On my Golden I use a spray bottle with conditioner and water, heavy on the conditioner. Also, I employ electric clippers around the chest and under the legs and belly. The burrs come rather easy, it's the fuzzy grass that sticks to the skin that's tough to remove, even with oil. With wet grass/weeds or snow, nothing seems to last very long, however.

scott linden posted on his site about using "Show Sheen" available at any tractor supply. spay on a couple times early season works for quite awhile. makes my setters coat silky. most burrs don't stick, tougher belly and armpit burrs come out by hand or picking with comb. easily reduces 70% of burr removal.

Back