Co Pheasant numbers down so let's talk other options

Flushing Mutt

Gents, i missed the opener this year, sounds like some of you scratched out a few but it seems we'll have to work real hard for em this year. So, i thought it would be fun to talk shop about some other venues.

I'm willing to do some driving to get my 8 yr old catahoula pound puppy turned useful flushing dog into some birds. He partially tore his crutiate last year and only got out once before it happened. The 4 years prior to 2012 he got used to getting out regularly in the fall and onto good number of wild roosters here in co and proved himself to be an exceelent close range flusher and absolutely desperate to find birds. All that to say, like so many of you, I'm desperate to get my best buddy onto some wild birds before he ( and I ) get any older!

I live in Fort collins, if you guys had a week to spare, where would you go if the most important thing was to get a flushing dog on decent numbers of wild birds?

My upland experience is limited to pheasant, quail and blues and I'm starting to get the itch to try some different species and localles. It would be nice to stay close and shoot up to wyoming for huns and sharpies but that thought is a bit intimidating considering my inexperience with both birds and wyoming. My play it safe option is south dakota. I know numbers are down but I'm sure we could find enough to keep things interesting. I'd even be willing to drive to montana or nodak if the weather outlook was reasonable but would prefer to stay closer. Just dont know what to do, lots of options, any general direction would be greatly appreciated. Gunner thanks you too.

I don't have alot of experience with other species of upland birds in other states other than Kansas (hunted once in SD last year), and my home state of Texas (quail and dove).

I know that chasing various species of quail can be fun, even here in Colorado, finding a good places for scaled quail. AZ has good numbers of quail I think. What about Utah? Wyoming? Maybe look at NB for huns, partridge, etc....Kansas upland bird numbers for all species are better than Colorado, but not much....

Good luck with getting your dog back out there....if wild birds is what you are looking for, then you will be spending some $$ on gas for sure. However, there are some good bird farms throughout the state that can be a good substitute.....

Greg

Back