Closing Day in Iowa

pheasantaddict

Dolf & I went out Saturday afternoon and were greeted by a fresh snow from the night before. I was hoping the snow would help hold the birds a little bit as they had been running wild. I only took my young DK, who has been progressing well for his first year of hunting. We hunted one area for an hour, but didn't see any birds and it was getting late. With only 1/2 an hr left, I got permission to hunt a small draw in the middle of a corn field. I had never hunted there before, but it had good winter cover. I noticed most of the fields around the place had tire tracks and had previously been hunted. Dolf went about 5 ft into the draw and went on point. I came in and up came two roosters. I sadly missed a candy double, both roosters took the same flight path and were only about 10 ft apart. Man, I thought what a terrible way to end the year. I'm glad dogs don't think like humans as Dolf went on to point 2 more roosters and 3 hens. We're having pheasant tomorrow night and there's enough for 3-4 people...and to Uncle Buck, I did take pity on the one that cackled, thanks for the tip.

PheasantAddict, sounds like a great day and thanks for sharing.

In regards to missing, I am glad I miss sometimes because that game I was trying to get seems to be the most memorable. Missing does hurt but is shore is memorable:eek: (not to mention, h-h-h-h-humbling too).

Here's lookin forward to next year. I'm happy you got some birds to dine on. Enjoy!

Back