Chukar!

cokid

Ok, it's probably post-season cabin fever, but I have a hankering to go take a walk in the canyon country out west, and pretend to be hunting partridge. Does anyone know if there's still a huntable population in CO? Don't expect any GPS coordinates, but any general direction would be nice. The distribution map I've found show the largest are to be SW of Grand Junction, but no idea if that's a reasonable place to look or not. I've meant to do this for at least 20 years, but never seemed to get around to it - this year might be the one!

Book Cliffs and the Colorado and Gunnison River drainages below 6,500 feet.:cheers:

Thanks Bleu! I was wondering about the Book Cliffs - always wanted to explore that area. Might have to give that a try. Will let you know if I go, and if I find any birds!

Good luck cokid,

If I was you I'd work them down the hill, and not up. They will frustrate you pushing them up. :thumbsup:

Thanks JMac - that's what I've heard and read! I've seen exactly one small covey of chukar in the wild, and that was in the Spring. It was near GJ, however, for what that's worth.

Back