Chokes for wild pheasants in a 16 ga. O/U

According to a sticky post on 16ga.com, bore diameters vary by manufacturer with several listed.
My Dickinson Estate SxS measures .6675, Citori Invector barrels were said to measure .667

My choke tubes are a bit tight, but give nice patterns. Just close to one notch tighter than marked.
My tubes , Listed as General standard
Cylinder-.005 , 000-.001
IC- .011, .007
Mod-.0185 , .015
IM- .027, .020
F-.0345, .028

Last edited:
You left out the only part that mainly determines what choke to use. What range are you going to be shooting?
Not sure of the range, I am a poor judge of distance. We hunt over pointers some days and flushers other days. Some days we hunt over a combination of both.

You left out the only part that mainly determines what choke to use. What range are you going to be shooting?
Yep, I generally tighten up on my chokes as the season progresses. Farther into the season the cover is getting layed down and the birds are flushing farther out.

Strictly skeet and IC. That said until this year have had great labs , and felt a broken wing will always be recovered. During last 2 years lost one bird each with my Labrador. I’m now running a French Brittany, part time and she’s new to the game….. I lost 6 roosters with her . I may need a new 10 gauge for her hunts. Any have an Ithaca mag 10 for sale?😂

Last edited:
Strictly skeet and IC. That said until this year have had great labs , and felt a broken wing will always be recovered. During last 2 years lost one bird each with my Labrador. I’m now running a French Brittany, part time and she’s new to the game….. I lost 6 roosters with her . I may need a new 10 gauge for her hunts. Any have an Ithaca mag 10 for sale?😂

That’s exactly how I always felt with good, aggressive labs. I run IC/ mod in my Citori. Get them on the ground and put them in the vest. With this dog I may have to rethink that strategy a bit. While she has been a serviceable retriever, she ain’t no lab.

Back