Choke Tube Advice

trap333

This has probably been asked before but is there any benefit to using extended chokes for Upland bird hunting? I know they're easier to install and remove, I'm talking about actual in the field performance. I hunt pheasants and grouse here in PA. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Never heard extended tubes provided any difference in the shooting. Same choke but extending the barrel by a half inch would not make a difference.

Last edited:
You ain't cool unless you have a magic choke tube sticking out past the muzzle of your gun. You also need one of those stickers on the side of your gun that says: Mojo or something like that.

Seriously: For upland hunting, most of your shots are at 30 yards or less. I doubt that you can do anything that special with choke to make much difference. A factory improved cylinder, light modified, or modified is probably all you will ever need.

Do not overthink this.

I have and use extended chokes just because they are easier to remove and install than the flush mounts.

That being said, I don't think they increase performance at all. They claim to help your pattern but I haven't seen anything to back that up.

Also I like having what choke I have printed on the side because I can never remember what the dots mean on the flush mounts. But they are also double the price of the flush.

You ain't cool unless you have a magic choke tube sticking out past the muzzle of your gun. You also need one of those stickers on the side of your gun that says: Mojo or something like that.

Seriously: For upland hunting, most of your shots are at 30 yards or less. I doubt that you can do anything that special with choke to make much difference. A factory improved cylinder, light modified, or modified is probably all you will ever need.

Do not overthink this.

+1, the only advantage to them is easy removal (sometimes!) and installation. They're ok on an O/U or repeater, but look terrible on a SxS!

Good Luck!

Greg

Do not overthink this.

ditto :)

No performance improvement with extended chokes. great if you are going from skeet to trap or sporting clays. my hunting guns have stock chokes and they are rarely changed.

For me , I pattern all my hunting guns with the load and choke I intend to use on game . My goal is to harvest birds clean and quickly as possible .

In my 12 ga Benelli I see added performance from the extended tubes I use .

I own the same gun in a 20 and have not found a tube that are better than the factory tubes .

My 12 ga M-2 likes Carlsons extended tubes the best .

The pattern board will tell the story.

As said above. Both yes and no. It all boils down to the magic choke. There will always, and I mean always be one that works best in your gun for a certain load. That may be a short, or it may be an extended. I have always found my best patterns with the extended chokes. I believe they do help, and more then some think. That is why high end guns use "QUALITY" high end extended chokes. It is not to be cool. When I shoot trials, I have found my sweet spot for my gun by patterning it at 40 yards plus. That is how far on average before I pull the trigger. I just ordered another IM choke tube from technichoke for my cortona. I am more consistent with that choke, but they only come with one. And that includes switch hitting with top or bottom bore. I could not in any gun find the performance to be near as consistent with my flush mount chokes. It is no secret that longer barrels, with tighter chokes will have tighter patterns for longer range and more killing power. But, your gun no matter what gun from rifle to scatter gun, your gun is only as good as the shooter behind it. Until you reach a point where you kill everything mostly, on a consistent basis, and shoot a ton. Toying around for improvement is sort of a waste of ammo and time. For example one guy can dump 50 clays in a row with "your" gun, yet you can't hit but 10. Where is the problem? It could be fit, LOP, many things other then choke. U have to bench pattern the gun to find out how a choke performs. Some will suck with one load, and be the best with another. Myself, I have 3 pet loads for my gun and that's all I shoot. Unless I just want an honor shot or a loud bang.:thumbsup: If you can sort it out though, you should find your happy place.:D Plus it is simple to clean, change and inspect an extended. No wrench needed.

Last edited:
Back