Chicken hunting?

matto

Has anybody gone or is anybody going? I've been thinking about a trip and wondering if anyone has done any good yet. Wish it were a little cooler...

I've seen few posted on social media.

I've been wanting to get my dogs after em, but with the weather and a buddy with permission on some good chicken ground not being able to go I've concentrated on working my pup. Pen raised birds are getting to easy for him. Growing up chasing Sharptails in ND makes me want to get after em early. Good luck if you get out and let us know how you do.

I'm in a similar situation. I'm thinking about my own version of the Kansas Grand Slam for my 10 year old dog--GPC, Pheasant, Bob, Scalie--before she retires. It starts with GPC right now. She may not have the legs left for a GPC hunt, but I think I want to try it. And her understudy (11 months old) needs bird contacts. We'll do the preserve thing a couple of times, but I'd like to have a go at GPC.

I too have a 10 year old and a 9 month old. My 10 year old is is great shape, in fact he showed the little one what it means to go hard playing fetch last night. I've had my pup on birds for 4 months and he's showing some real skills. Just need to get off my butt (and get all the wifes weekend projects done) and go get access to some chicken ground so I don't have to depend on anyone else.

Got out this last weekend. Had to skip the opener as I was at shooting competition in NM. Got into a covey late on Saturday afternoon and missed a cake shot on Sunday morning. Haven't seen the bird numbers like last year but I'm thinking the heat had them spread out. Supposed to be a bit cooler this weekend.

View attachment 8505

I too have a 10 year old and a 9 month old. My 10 year old is is great shape, in fact he showed the little one what it means to go hard playing fetch last night. I've had my pup on birds for 4 months and he's showing some real skills. Just need to get off my butt (and get all the wifes weekend projects done) and go get access to some chicken ground so I don't have to depend on anyone else.

I told you we need to go lol. Get ranger, bandit and willy on some chickens.

My buddy and I are going to give it another try this year, after our first attempt at a PC hunt last fall. Didn't end up finding any birds but a day in the field is better than a day in the office.

My only chance to get out was Saturday morning, so I went. Took my son and one of his friends.

Because of the greasy roads we were forced to park on the north side of our chosen WIHA and hunt with the wind in the beginning. Once we reached the top of the fill, a big flock flushed about 80 yards out. The short version is we probably walked 3-4 miles on that tract and saw plenty of chickens. Had one soft point that produced a flush at 50-60 yards. I drew feathers on a closer wild-flusher, but couldn't bring it down. A pair that flew over us for reasons we didn't immediately understand. But, once we got to a better vantage point, we saw group of at least five hunters with about as many dogs working our direction. The birds must have flushed wild from this group. They were a safe distance and we avoided each other. Perhaps they thought we were hunting a different field because we were parked on the other side of the road. Perhaps they didn't care.

Greasy roads kept us from getting to another WIHA, and a 3rd WIHA came up dry.

Back