Cheyenne Bottoms

KansasGsp

Hey Guys,
Looking at taking a day off work this week and thinking about trying some place I haven't been. Anyone hunting around Cheyenne Bottoms this year? Thanks, Bryan

I think you'll have more luck a little further west. I hunted last week on walk in land in Rush county and saw very good bird numbers.

Last edited:
I agree with Jayhawk, I have never personally hunted the Bottoms but have never really heard any good reports come from people that had hunted it.

Last edited:
We have land just west of 281 directly across from cheyenne bottoms and some buddies hunted it last Friday afternoon and said they saw 18 birds in just a quarter section of milo. So, they are there.

Bird question to Professor

Did you have any luck around Marion Lake? We hunted up there yesterday and didn't have any luck around the lake. We got onto some private land around Durham and moved 2 coveys and shot 1 rooster. I've hunted around Marion lake for the last 8 years and have always done ok, but not this year. There were some trucks already parked in some of my better spots, so this may have had something to do with it. Thanks for the advice on Cheyenne Bottoms. Think I'll give it a try Friday. Bryan

A buddy and I hunted one spot Saturday afternoon. We jumped a real nice covey not 20 feet from the truck, then didn't see another bird the rest of the afternoon. We were only there for 2 hours, so didn't get to try any other spots. Lots of "birdy" moments from my dog, like we were close, but couldn't seem to locate any. I was really impressed with the quality of land out there. Milo, CRP, draws, shoreline, thickets. My buddy and I over and over kept saying, "Man, there's got to be birds in here......"

I'd like to get back before end of the season.

professor,
i agree about the land looking great around marion, kanapolis wildlife area is the same way. i've hunted some pretty good public land this year not too far from marion lake. if you're interested in checking it out, send me a pm and i'll give you more info. bryan

Back