Check station gripe

2point

So I hunt in Western Montana on an Indian reservation. Opening weekend I was taking a break and went to a town to grab a burger. At a rest area was a check station. Barely saw it in time as sign was at the rest area. Couple nice guys asked me what I got. Which was 2 huns. Didnt ask for license, or anything. Looked like volunteers, not state, federal, or tribal guys.

So then later I went the other way home. The speed limit is 70 and I see a sign hunters check station, again at the turn out. I mean at the turn out. Why not have 2 signs like every other check station has. One a quarter mile before the turn out and one at the turn out. They had a table in a gravel pit hidden in a low spot. I thought well the other guys checked me, I am not turning around.

So today I am going home and in a different spot see a sign that says tribal hunters check station. At this spot the speed limit is 45. But I was in the right hand lane and the sign was for a left turn off. Which is dangerous left turn from the passing lane on the highway. No warning at all. Once again right at the turn out. I was going to turn around then thought tribal hunters, what does that even mean? I know tribal members can hunt just about anything they want, elk, moose, deer. Do they need to check in? Does it mean non tribal bird hunters that hunt on tribal land like me? I can't believe putting a sign right at the turn off and vague information. My rant for the day.

So I hunt in Western Montana on an Indian reservation. Opening weekend I was taking a break and went to a town to grab a burger. At a rest area was a check station. Barely saw it in time as sign was at the rest area. Couple nice guys asked me what I got. Which was 2 huns. Didnt ask for license, or anything. Looked like volunteers, not state, federal, or tribal guys.

So then later I went the other way home. The speed limit is 70 and I see a sign hunters check station, again at the turn out. I mean at the turn out. Why not have 2 signs like every other check station has. One a quarter mile before the turn out and one at the turn out. They had a table in a gravel pit hidden in a low spot. I thought well the other guys checked me, I am not turning around.

So today I am going home and in a different spot see a sign that says tribal hunters check station. At this spot the speed limit is 45. But I was in the right hand lane and the sign was for a left turn off. Which is dangerous left turn from the passing lane on the highway. No warning at all. Once again right at the turn out. I was going to turn around then thought tribal hunters, what does that even mean? I know tribal members can hunt just about anything they want, elk, moose, deer. Do they need to check in? Does it mean non tribal bird hunters that hunt on tribal land like me? I can't believe putting a sign right at the turn off and vague information. My rant for the day.
It was on a reservation. No explanation needed.

Back