Check cords problems

JDshockNawe

Hi I got a 3 year old black lab and want to train her for grouse hunting and other upland birds i know I'm getting off to a late start but I just started hunting grouse. My dog Remington is well behaved (house dog) so I started training her I got the retrieve down so she waits for my command but she gets to far ahead of me while in the woods. I've done the most I can in my backyard but i only have about an half acre of fenced in property I can go to the woods to train but the check cord is impractical to many trees and bushes I'm looking for a feild I can use but have not got one yet. I'm thinking about e-collers but know next to nothing about them. Any help or advice would help greatly

I would start her off like a puppy... Proper bird and gun intro first. Treat the first season like you would a puppy... Let her search and hunt, don't pull her off birds, and then work on range during the summer. Maybe you did let her do that this fall? Then train in fields this summer with the check cord. Most dogs will shorten up in the woods.

Back