Chaps

Blaze Boy

What's your opinion on hunting chaps? I need new hunting chaps. Whether I am training the dog in the field, hunting, teaching orienteering with the scouts, planting trees at the local conservation district, I make use of my chaps. The only pair I have ever had were Filson single tincloth. They have worn well and I have taken care to wax them regularly always putting the hair dryer to them to get the wax to soak in. But after more than 15 years, they are getting thin in the knees. I would buy them againand they would probably last me for the rest of my time.

If I were a dog, people would say I am "long coupled." I have a long torso and short thick arms and legs. Where other people have legs, I have moveable tree trunks. Husky is the only option.

The single tincloth filson's breath pretty well in warm weather and they fit pretty well.

Who manufactures the chaps with the largest thighs? (keep the jokes to yourself)
Are briar proof chaps hot or do they beath? The nylon and cordura looks like it would not disipate heat.

Zippers and snaps look like an option worth having, but some of the zippers look light weight. Some of the snaps are clearly smaller than others and would not work well with gloves or cold temperatures.

Too hot. :(

Gonna stay at the Y. M. C. A. !

Some really like them. Especially in snake country.

Too hot for me. I like llbean briar pants.

For snake country I like snake-proof gaiters.

Try a pair of filson dbl tin in husky. Dbl tin gives you the side zipper that you dont get with the sigle. Husky should give you the extra leg room and they are a little shorter.

I love my Filsons double Tin Chaps.

to the OP. Filsons warranties their chaps for life. Wear em out, send them in, and they will send you new ones. Easy as that.

Filson Dbl Tin Chaps

I went with the Filson Chaps, again, but with double tin. I have had them on half a dozen times since the new year. They work great through the snow, grass and brush. The double tin and zippers do not add all that much weight over the single tin. The snaps and zipper are good sized and easy to manage after an accumulation of snow and ice. Adding the zippers makes removing the chaps much easier.

I also talked with the folks at Uplander Warehouse and they told me to be careful, as the alternatives can run small. They recommended Filson and gave a good discount off of MSRP. (you need to call and talk over the telephone to get that discount)

The new chaps are still a little stiff and need some more breakin, but I am happy with the choice for pheasant hunting. I think I will still use my single tin chaps for summer work of planting trees and cutting brush at the local conservation district.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

What Old Dublin said. Go with good brush pants (in a waist size larger than you need . . . the fashion police aren't out there, but your lower unit will appreciate the consideration), a good belt, & suspenders. Or . . . you can do what we all did when we oldsters were youngsters . . . disregard advice until you take the time & discomfort to prove yourself wrong . . .

Damn but I love being old!!!

I have started to love my chaps. I have a cheap pair from Cabela's, but I am going to invest in a nice pair before I go to SoDak this fall. I am looking at either:

Beretta Wax Chaps

or

Filson Single Tin Chaps

I currently have these: Cabela's Boar Hide.

They are lightweight that is about the only good thing I can say about them, not water resistant at all and not really very protective with large thorns so Ill be looking for something different this year.

I have started to love my chaps. I have a cheap pair from Cabela's, but I am going to invest in a nice pair before I go to SoDak this fall. I am looking at either:

Beretta Wax Chaps

or

Filson Single Tin Chaps

I currently have these: Cabela's Boar Hide.

They are lightweight that is about the only good thing I can say about them, not water resistant at all and not really very protective with large thorns so Ill be looking for something different this year.

If you go with the Filson Chaps get the Dbl tin. They have a zipper on the side so you can take them off with out having to remove your boots first.

I have never worn game pants, so I speak with no authority, but the problem I have always seen with them has been that if the grass is wet then the pants get wet on the backs of the legs above the brush material.

I only wear Filson's.....use them for trapping as well

Don't get me wrong . . . Filson chaps are great accessories & I do use them on certain occasions but not when I'm planning to walk great distances. Too hard on the hips as they pull-down on your belt all day. I find the less-constricting brush pants more comfortable in the long run; I also spray them with waterproofing. Maybe it's the difference between 65 & lots of miles on my old legs and 35 and not-so-many miles yet.

Back