Chaps of Brush Busters?

CowboyBirdDogs

I've recently outgrown 5 pairs of brush busters so it's either buy 4-5 more pair or buy a good pair a chaps. I hunt Texas, Kansas and for the first time this year, South Dakota. What would you guys advise? And if you suggest chaps, give me a brand or whatever ones you like for me to look up. Thanks for the help!

I like chaps for plum thickets, mesquite and briars and when there is snow on the ground and I wear the brush busters for grassy cover. My chaps are Filson. If you go with chaps make sure you get ones that are easy to get on and off.

I like chaps myself. Right now I have a pair of Gamehide chaps that are ok. I'm thinking about getting a new pair and have heard a lot of good things about the stone creek chaps. My advice would be to make sure there are zippers to make them easier to get on and off.

I have used chaps for 20 plus years. Prefer the cordura chaps with full length zipper for easy on/off. Very tough, lite weight, waterproof and briar proof. Also have a lighter pair of Bob Allen chaps for warm days, full length zipper (a must) good for CRP, brush, wet grass but not quite as briar proof
Don't always wear them but keep them rolled up in my vest. After the hunt it takes 2 minutes to take them off and you are fairly clean for a stop in a restaurant, bar, store etc..

Do they ever get too hot? Are they waterproof? Where did you buy them?
Yes, in my opinion, the Filson chaps with the wax treatment get hot but I am very warm-natured, it's the trade off for briar protection. In other words, I choose briar and thorn protection over comfort. I will admit I have had some miserable days hunting quail in West Texas but as long as it's cool enough for the dogs I won't complain.

I ordered mine from Filson 20 years ago but I think you can order them from several online retailers.

Last edited:
I just picked up the cabelas stonewall chaps, they seem decent and half the price of filsons. They have half length zips and are waxed cotton. Won't know if the money was worth saving over the filsons for a few years but they do seem decent and have good zippers

Thanks

Thanks for the heads up on Dry Chaps from Cabelas. I bought a pair on my way out to SD a few weeks ago and they are the best 80 bucks I've spent in a while. I replaced my Filson's because I bought a pair with no zippers or snaps, and that was of course, a big mistake.

Back