Central North Dakota Sharptail Outlook

MN guy

Just over a month until the sharptail opener! Our group is planning a hunt to the central part of North Dakota. Any locals out there with info on amount of precipitation, how the hatch went, or other general observations? Thanks!

Should be a fairly normal year I would l think - winter was brutal in that part of the state but sharpies are pretty tough. Precip and rearing weather have been pretty favorable this summer it seems.

I'm in MN on a work assignment and this past Saturday I had go drive up into central ND and back. Didn't see any birds, but I was on paved roads the whole time, and most of the driving was done mid-day, so that's no surprise. But the countryside definitely looked lush and green, lots of water standing everywhere. I'm headed to ND for the opener next month and I'm guessing it's gonna be a pretty good year.

I'm in MN on a work assignment and this past Saturday I had go drive up into central ND and back. Didn't see any birds, but I was on paved roads the whole time, and most of the driving was done mid-day, so that's no surprise. But the countryside definitely looked lush and green, lots of water standing everywhere. I'm headed to ND for the opener next month and I'm guessing it's gonna be a pretty good year.
Thanks for the report Roadscholar. This is what I am hearing from a few others as well. Good luck!

I fished with a guy from Valley City yesterday. He showed up with a sharpie on the grill of his Dodge. He was hopeful there would be plenty of birds to go around.

Back