Central Indiana Dog Training Grounds? Preserves?

DaveH

Went out to Brazil on Saturday to run the dogs. I've neglected their training since last year. They are a little out of shape, but but still remember how to do their job.

Question for you all with dogs...

I have to get some time on the dogs every weekend for the next few weeks. Heading to South Dakota at the end of October. Besides joining a conservation club and bringing birds, does anyone know of any preserves or dog training grounds close to Indy with birds?

If not I'll continue to hit the spots 1-2 hours away.:thumbsup:

I live on the south side in Greenwood, the closest place would be the Glenns Valley Conservation club, by Waverly. They have several good fields for working with your dogs. I think the membership price is $300 to join and then $100 a year, but they do have limited membership. They have 106 acres and a skeet house and a couple of nice lakes. I don't have a dog or I would have joined most likely. I do shoot at the 5 points conservation club off of Thompson and Five points road, but it is only a trap range.

I live right down the street from 5 points CC. Just never make it due to kids sports schedules. Maybe this week... Maybe not... if I show up, you'll know cause I'll miss half of them. Getting used to a new gun right now as well :)

Glenn's Valley is nice, I have a friend that is a member there, but it's a drive for me. And you have to take your own birds. My time is limited so it doesn't really work well for me.

We went to Brazil, IN Saturday and was about 4 hours round trip, running 3 dogs. So it wasn't bad, just curious if there is anything closer with birds on hand. There's always my trainer in Shelbyville, but its too easy for the dogs there, they know the drill.

Appreciate the input. If there is nothing but the CCs then there's nothing but the CCs, but figured I'd check.

That is the only one I know that have dog running room, there is Crooked Creek up near Straw Town, but again you have to have your own birds. My mob of 5 hunters and 5 dogs are heading to Iowa at the end of the month. If your friend is a member he should be able to put you in contact with Ed King, he is the vice president of the CC and a hell of a nice guy, he may be able to loan you some bird cages, if you have a farmers field to work in and are able to get some birds, again Ed may some insight, as he has dogs he works.

Crooked Creek

What breed are you running? Pudelpointer here.
I belong to Central Indiana NAVHDA we meet once a month at either Brookville or Buck Creek, you order birds several days prior and a member brings them to training day. You can work on whatever skills you want. Also went to CC near Noblesville several weeks ago with another member. They do have pigeons that you can use BUT YOU CAN NOT KILL THEM! They are Homing Pigeons and fly right back to the loft! If you want to shoot birds over your dog there you need to bring them yourself.

How about the Conservation Bird Dog Club near Amo?

This. I belong and we have a members quail pen with birds. You pay for how many you take. Membership is cheap and it's 140 acres broken into three fields and even has a fishing ponds with slob bluegill.

Back