Canyon ferry

Goosemaster

So they released some birds at canyon ferry? Predators must have gotten all of them by dec.1. Very few seen.

My personal experience of releasing pen raised birds was a total failure. DFWP had a program (maybe they still do) that delivered young birds to property owners free of charge if the habitat qualified. Approximately 100 birds were released on my ranch and within two weeks there was no evidence of a survivor! I'm sure predators got a few, but honestly I believe the bulk of them perished because they did not have the necessary survival skills. For my money and resources-- it's HABITAT.

Montana is going release up to 50,000 birds this coming year on public lands , starting before the youth opened. I’m afraid money will be diverted from habitat improvements and enhancements, to wind up birds. I have SOME Faint hope it will encourage youth hunters into upland bird lifestyles!

Put and take usually only works when the "put" is just before the "take". Conditions have to be just right read optimum for most of the birds to survive for any length of time. Decent weather and good habitat are the key to hunt able populations, that said in some areas put and take are the only viable options to expose new hunters or part time hunters.

My personal experience of releasing pen raised birds was a total failure. DFWP had a program (maybe they still do) that delivered young birds to property owners free of charge if the habitat qualified. Approximately 100 birds were released on my ranch and within two weeks there was no evidence of a survivor! I'm sure predators got a few, but honestly I believe the bulk of them perished because they did not have the necessary survival skills. For my money and resources-- it's HABITAT.
I think you are right.That canyon ferry area has great habitat, but you really have to work to get a bird.

Montana is going release up to 50,000 birds this coming year on public lands , starting before the youth opened. I’m afraid money will be diverted from habitat improvements and enhancements, to wind up birds. I have SOME Faint hope it will encourage youth hunters into upland bird lifestyles!
I think I agree, they can't survive very long in the wild.I think I saw 2 pheasants.

I have a vague memory of some department, or organization, taking eggs from penned birds and putting them in wild hens' nests. As I recall it was somewhat more successful, with the wild hens teaching survival responses to the chicks.

Don't remember more; but it struck me as incredibly labor intensive--first locating the nests, and then timing the hatchs.

Somebody know more?

Looks like there has been tremendous support by residents of the state of Montana to stop the prison stocking program. The bill is nearly approved HB 74 will stop the program! The fwp committee has endorsed quitting of pen raised birds by the prison thru the state on wildlife management areas .

Back