Cant Wait

Lots of turkeys this year. Just broke up last week around here. There were some big flocks this winter. Less than 3 weeks for the youth, it's coming fast.

Shouldn't have to scout too hard. They are everywhere. Just a matter of getting them to come within 40 yards of ya. The best place I hunt turkeys on is a 12 acre cattle pasture. Good luck

I have birds in my backyard this spring on the green wheat and pasture. No clue were they came from but 3 big toms so I guess we don't have to travel far.

Wheat and alfalfa fields are where they spend the majority of the late morning/early afternoons on our farm. Cattle pastures early morning, then migrate to the feeding fields.

I will be hunting public land exclusively and in Missouri that usually means no cattle. The places I have been scouting have pasture bordered by a creek or river with a good stand of hardwoods and crop fields nearby. Often times they will have "fingers" of trees or brush between crop fields or the pasture that I figured would create a good place to sit.

Am I on the right track?

Yeah you're on the right track. Actually the Mark Twain ground is better for turkeys than most CA's. The Mark Twain ground is grazed, some of it does have cattle on it still. There are thousands of acres of it. And best of all you can hunt it. These areas are generally open or have ravines where you can hear gobbles from a long ways off.

Called in this one Yesterday

Called this one in from about 300 yards. Been a while since I've had one work that well. Not as big as my daughters (and she let me know that) but still a good one. Shot it. Cleaned it. Was eating breakfast by 7:30am. Found one lone mushroom on the walk back.

Like the Ghilly suit I have the same one I think. I'm proctoring the ACT this morning so little fun yet on the turkey front.

Sweet action! Thanks for the input. I've never read up on the MTNF stuff, because I get concerned about how intermingled private land is in the forest. Are there "good" maps for the forest to know that you are on public lands?

Just get a county plat book of the county you will be hunting in. It gives all boundary lines. Some of the MTNF ground is in cooperation with the national wild turkey federation. So they patch-burn graze it and some of the areas have good stands of native grass on them. Which is good for other game. But cattle pasture is what most of it is. Or giant stands of woods surrounded by cattle pastures. Both good for turkeys. Just not really anything else. The biggest areas of it are in southern missouri. I live around alot of it here in mid missouri. Its about 2 hours east of K.C. So maybe hour and a half from odessa?? PM me if you want, I can give u more info.

Last edited:
My cousin kevin got one this morning too in the same place my daughter got one during youth. All 3 of of in the house have gotten one. The one this morning was with 3 jakes and 8 hens. They are everywhere this year. Never seen so many. Hopefully the quail can make a comeback that matches the wild turkey. Saw 4 different pairs of them this morning too. Flushed two pair and saw 2 other couples walking along a fenceline. Lots of birds out this morning in the rain.

Back