Camping/ R.V.??

Looper

Do any of you take a travel trailer and set up at a state rec area / state park when you are in South Dakota hunting??
We are thinking about giving this a try over Thanksgiving just not sure how appreciated hunters are coming and going at the state parks.

You best make sure that the state parks are still open. And at that time of year all the facilities (restrooms, etc.) are shut down for the winter. Same for many campgrounds.

Unless there is a pile of snow South Dakota keeps their state parks open year round, they shut down the water but electricity and vault toilets are always up and going.

Yup, seen lots of hunters at the Lower Oahe park for years. It's a great spot, right on the river. a limit of geese in the AM, a phez hunt, midday, and a limit of walleye in the evening. can't beat it.

Some small towns have small camping areas also. Hunters are welcome at any state park or small town in SD.

My brother in law camps in a state park in January. Just don't expect much for amenities at that time of year.

Tim

Some small towns have small camping areas also. Hunters are welcome at any state park or small town in SD.

My brother in law camps in a state park in January. Just don't expect much for amenities at that time of year.

Tim

I used to camp in the 70's and 80's and had great memories, Just remember to bring your wife's hair dryer because you will get frozen water lines that late in the year.

Yup, seen lots of hunters at the Lower Oahe park for years. It's a great spot, right on the river. a limit of geese in the AM, a phez hunt, midday, and a limit of walleye in the evening. can't beat it.
Our travel trailer would be one of them, accept my wife and I don't hunt water foul in SD. Another great place we camp while hunting pheasants and fishing in SD is at Lake Louise State Park and Rec Area several miles north west of Miller. We hunt most of the public grounds between Miller and Fort Pierre.

Although we camp in SD every year, this is the first year in many, we did not stay for hunting season. We lost Rusty, old Golden, to cancer earlier this year. He was more than just a hunter and retriever, he was part of our family and his loss weighed heavily on us. Perhaps in time, another pup will follow in his footsteps...........

We stay at lake louise every year during opening week and love it! Can't beat the cost vs hotels and dogs can be out and roam around more than at a hotel. Like others have said later in the season the weather could be a factor in camping in SD.

I was just worried about the gun/hunting issue, we will have already winterized our trailer and will just bring several gallons of water with to wash dishes/whatever needs to be done outside along. We have stayed in our trailers well into January and have no issues as long as we have electricity we will be just fine. I also like that we can have more freedom with our dogs over staying in a motel, they travel with us all the time in our trailer and are at home there not to mention the one likes to sleep at the end of the bed and keep our feet warm and they frown upon this at motels.

Back