Camping out by south Yuma County?

Lark Bunting

Does anyone know of any camping spots out by Joes, CO? Thinking of heading out Friday afternoon and getting a few extra hours sleep on Saturday morning before the opener.

I don't think you'll find anything in Joe's unless you know somebody out there. There is a park on the East side of town with a crapper but I don't think they'll let you spend the night.
Not much on that road other than crops. I know it is a bit farther out but I think you can still camp at Bonney Res. only public area I know in the area.

Thank you for the reply. I checked into what's now "South Republican SWA" but two of the campgrounds are closed and nobody answered the phone when I called to check on the third. I'll keep

From DOW's website...

Contact Info
Certain leases can expire or be terminated without public notice; check before using leased areas.
The reservoir was partially drained and Bonny Lake State Park was converted from a State Park (fee area) to a State Wildlife Area (no entrance fee required) in Oct. 2011. Wagon Wheel and Foster Grove Campgrounds are closed. Limited amenities are available at the East Beach and North Cove Campgrounds.
Area CPW Office: Colo. Sprgs, (719) 227-5200.

If they don't answer the phone try the Main DOW office in Denver on Broadway.

Take Hwy 36 east to Anton. At the intersection of Hwy 36 and Hwy 63 there is a small store and post office on the SW corner, go north (left) on Hwy 63 approximately 200 feet, on your right there is a small camping area. I don't know who owns it or whom to talk to but it's there. Stop and ask around. I've seen this place many times but never used it.

you should check out the "hot latin beauties" as advertized on this site. don't waste your time here. go hunting and learn things

I don't think you'll find anything in Joe's unless you know somebody out there. There is a park on the East side of town with a crapper but I don't think they'll let you spend the night.
Not much on that road other than crops. I know it is a bit farther out but I think you can still camp at Bonney Res. only public area I know in the area.

Nobody cares if you spend the night in a park.

Nobody cares if you spend the night in a park.

You are probably right but in the 20+ years I've been hunting out in that area or passing by I have never seen anybody camping there.....

I have driven by the Joes park every Friday evening of Opening Weekend for 9 years (and many other weekends), and there have always been a few trailers parked there (on Opening Weekend). I particularly noticed, as there was one of the same unique manufacturer as mine. They updated the park a year, or so, ago, but there were still two trailers there last year on Opening Weekend.

Just an aside: One of the guys that goes out with me on Opening Weekend (we stay in my trailer) commented to me that I am as anxious for Opening Weekend as kids are for Christmas. True! That being the case, can I shoot just one bird on Opening Weekend Eve? ;)

I have driven by the Joes park every Friday evening of Opening Weekend for 9 years (and many other weekends), and there have always been a few trailers parked there (on Opening Weekend). I particularly noticed, as there was one of the same unique manufacturer as mine. They updated the park a year, or so, ago, but there were still two trailers there last year on Opening Weekend.

Just an aside: One of the guys that goes out with me on Opening Weekend (we stay in my trailer) commented to me that I am as anxious for Opening Weekend as kids are for Christmas. True! That being the case, can I shoot just one bird on Opening Weekend Eve? ;)

I usually leave on early on Friday so maybe nobody's there yet. Ill be passing by around 2pm today. I'll report what I see.

In the many years driving through Joes have you seen the peacock?

I have to say I have never seen the peacock. Turkeys in Cope, but no peacock in Joes. Lots of Eurasian doves in Joes, though. I have probably driven through Joes and Cope over 200 times in the last 12 years. Often while dark, though.

Due to kid obligations tonight with his girl friend we will be heading out at 0'dark-thirty tomorrow. I'll scout some options to camp after we're done. Thank you all for the replies.

View attachment 7678
I have to say I have never seen the peacock. Turkeys in Cope, but no peacock in Joes. Lots of Eurasian doves in Joes, though. I have probably driven through Joes and Cope over 200 times in the last 12 years. Often while dark, though.
I generally see it by the liquor store..

Not a soul in the Joes Park at 3pm..

Good and safe hunting to all!!

There was a trailer in the park when we went through about 5 p.m. Friday.

We saw the peacock as we were returning at dusk on Sunday! Yes, it was near the liquor store, wandering in the parking lane along the highway.

Tons of birds in the fields, and most of them are still there. Many more birds this year than in years past, and I have never been lacking for birds, even through the lean years. But, shooting skills were not there. This is the first year I just didn't make time to hit the trap range during the summer, and maybe it shows. I was pondering my Saturday misses while walking on Sunday (should not fill the brain with distracting thoughts while walking pheasant cover!), and also realized I am waiting on my shots until my hunting partners get their first shot off. Since I hunt every weekend, and they hunt one or two times a year, I want them to have the opportunity to connect. So, I wait. Sunday, my opportunities that didn't allow them a shot went perfectly. So, maybe I should not wait for them to shoot? Or, I can just not shoot at a bird when others have an opportunity. That's really what I should do.

Hope all had a good weekend!

Rolled back through Joes around 3:30pm on Sunday. Only saw a single hen outside Joes near the church. Did spy a couple of trailers in Cope at the park. Surprised we didn't see anybody hunting in the fields along Hwy 36. Not much public but usually see a few hunting parties. Figured everybody must have got soaked out on Saturday.

Kansas wasn't much better than Colorado from the posts I've read. Think we might have to wait until more crops get mowed and the weather cools...

I look at the cornfields as my storage closet for birds for later in the season. Where I was, there were more birds than I have seen on Opening Weekend, period. I have seen lots on other Opening Weekends, but not this many. If I was not waiting for my guests to shoot, I may have had a better rhythm, and dropped more. Still, a good weekend.

Yes, Saturday morning was wet as a lake! That fog overnight was almost a drizzle. I have "waterproof" boots that I also put boot grease on (many times), but still had soaked feet by 8. Sunday was better (I had a second pair of boots, so didn't have to wear wet boots Sunday). More hunting this-coming weekend!

i guess, nowadays in closed, unfortunately. However, I'm actually preparing for the next season, you know, even though it wouldn't be possible, I will be ready anyway, lol. You know, this thing means hope, all these preparations and all special things you purchase mean only one thing- hope for future, hope for everything being fine, positive thinking. Thus, I have already bought a cell phone booster for my rv to travel next time. It's really important to be connected to the internet and get in touch with everyone when you're out of your usual work for long time. https://www.palmgear.com/best-rv-cell-phone-booster-reviews/ offers really great reviews of the cell phone boosters, try to check it if you're preparing for the next season as I do.

Last edited:
Back