Calif. study dealing with their pheasant issues

So where is this California CRP land? Can we hunt it?

It didn't list turkeys as pheasant nest predators. Apparently as a rule they leave pheasant and quail nests alone.

So where is this California CRP land? Can we hunt it?
I didn't find anything that says they have to allow public access under the CRP or CREP programs. Benefits to hunters will come from increased bird populations in general. You can ask permission but this being Calif. you're more likely to find a camel that spits dates than get it.

http://www.fsa.usda.gov/FSA/newsRel...etail&item=pf_20010201_consv_en_crepca01.html

didn't list turkeys as pheasant nest predators. Apparently as a rule they leave pheasant and quail nests alone.
My understanding is that turkeys outcompete with pheasants for the best or only nesting habitat leaving pheasants with marginal or none. I've never heard of them raiding nests but there probably isn't any studies dealing with it.
Removal of the trees removes roosting sites for turkeys and their young and perches for raptors. Turkeys need horizontal limbs but raptors will use fenceposts and pole lines as perches so removal of trees is more about turkeys I think.

Back