Bud Grant and me

PTM

Way back when in college I had the opportunity to walk a field with Bud Grant and some political figure from Norway who is wearing the green jacket, I'm the dork in the jean jacket. My buddy hooked me up as I am a big fan of Bud. The hunt took place near my buddies' place in NW ND. The guy from Norway would hand his shooting glove to his pretty wife to prepare for a shot when a dog went on point. Bud put on a retrieving demo with his black lab after the hunt that he trained himself, it was pretty awesome at hand signals. This went down in the early 90's. Curious if any other members have had the chance to hunt with a sport celebrity or anyone semi-famous.:)

Bud%20Grant_zpsf2q1heka.png

In December 2010 I spent 3 days in South Dakota with former Dodgers/A's pitcher Bob Welch (the 1990 AL Cy Young Award winner) and former A's pitcher and now pitching coach Curt Young. Young's brother and nephew and a guy who'd pitched in Oakland's minor league system were also there.

I drove all the way out there and back with Welch in his Tahoe and heard a lot of great stories. I'd met him at a hunting event just a couple months earlier, and he offered me the free ride to S.D. if I'd bring my three dogs.

It was a great time overall, but the only type of hunting they wanted to do was the typical block-and-drive stuff. I don't care at all for that style, but hey, I tolerated it in exchange for all the other stuff.

Sadly, Welch is gone now. He had a fall in his bathroom in 2014 and suffered a broken neck. He was truly a very kind, humble man.

Cool story DP, I forgot to mention Bud was a really cool down to earth guy, there were a lot of birds back then, we hunted with four setters, Bud and I were the only guys with labs.

Pat...wasn't aware Captain Kirk and I were hunting with such a well-connected person. Give Bud a call and tell him to join us! He can ride out with us if that works for him.

In December 2010 I spent 3 days in South Dakota with former Dodgers/A's pitcher Bob Welch (the 1990 AL Cy Young Award winner) and former A's pitcher and now pitching coach Curt Young. Young's brother and nephew and a guy who'd pitched in Oakland's minor league system were also there.

I drove all the way out there and back with Welch in his Tahoe and heard a lot of great stories. I'd met him at a hunting event just a couple months earlier, and he offered me the free ride to S.D. if I'd bring my three dogs.

It was a great time overall, but the only type of hunting they wanted to do was the typical block-and-drive stuff. I don't care at all for that style, but hey, I tolerated it in exchange for all the other stuff.

Sadly, Welch is gone now. He had a fall in his bathroom in 2014 and suffered a broken neck. He was truly a very kind, humble man.

I always like to read your stories about the guys you've been around. Thanks John.

Way back when in college I had the opportunity to walk a field with Bud Grant and some political figure from Norway who is wearing the green jacket, I'm the dork in the jean jacket. My buddy hooked me up as I am a big fan of Bud. The hunt took place near my buddies' place in NW ND. The guy from Norway would hand his shooting glove to his pretty wife to prepare for a shot when a dog went on point. Bud put on a retrieving demo with his black lab after the hunt that he trained himself, it was pretty awesome at hand signals. This went down in the early 90's. Curious if any other members have had the chance to hunt with a sport celebrity or anyone semi-famous.:)

Bud%20Grant_zpsf2q1heka.png

That is darn Cool!!!!! I have a few stories, but I better not share. Nothing illegal or anything, just really embarrassing..:thumbsup:

I didn't hunt with Bud but we stayed in the same motel in 2014. He was duck hunting in ND and I was pheasant hunting in SD. We spent some time sitting on my tailgate talking, it was really interesting. He walked a bit hunched over but was sharp and quick witted. When my old dog rested his head on Buds shoulder and he said "what do you want old timer". I said he wants your autograph. Bud promptly signed his collar. That was the only reference made to his fame.

I was skiing at Vail and this maybe 12 yr old kid comes flying into the lift line, falls down and I caught him as he slid between my legs. I grabbed him by his jacket collar and picked him up just in time to hand him over to his mother who just got there; Merrideth Baxter Berny. She looked major hot back then. Turns out she's a muff diver now?? Bumer

I was skiing at Vail and this maybe 12 yr old kid comes flying into the lift line, falls down and I caught him as he slid between my legs. I grabbed him by his jacket collar and picked him up just in time to hand him over to his mother who just got there; Merrideth Baxter Berny. She looked major hot back then. Turns out she's a muff diver now?? Bumer

Ha Ha. I was unaware of the later.

Pat...wasn't aware Captain Kirk and I were hunting with such a well-connected person. Give Bud a call and tell him to join us! He can ride out with us if that works for him.

It was all my friend he had the connections and the hunting spots, rumor had it Bobby Knight used to come to ND in those days hunting Pheasant.

Just membered another Vail story. There is a place up there that I love to day hike and fly fish. Was fishing and having a really good day when I noticed some folks taking my picture as I caught some cutties. It was Dennis Fronz and his kids. He was a tuff detective in one of those cop shows back in the day. Nice guy

I didn't get a chance to hunt with Ted but.......

Back in the early 90's I frequented our local bow shop quite a bit and wrote a column for the bowshop owners bi monthly magazine he put together and printed. That was the time frame when Ted Nugent was just starting to get into the "spokesman" scene and Ted had a magazine of his own (that I subscribed too) and a club of which I was a member. The bow shop owner wasn't a fan due to Ted's profane word choices when talking about hunting in his magazine.
Ted had a concert scheduled for our town one Friday night and I was at the bow shop after work that Friday afternoon. In walks Ted with a buddy and he ask's to talk to the shop owner about an editorial in which the shop owner was critical of Ted's approach to educating the public about hunting.
Rich the shop owner came out, Rich is a very soft spoken guy and he explained he appreciated Ted's intent but needed to clean up quotes profanity laced quotes.
Ted went into a profanity laced reply, dropping the F bomb over and over, one after another. Rich said he wouldn't want his young son to hear the message Ted was relaying with the choice of profane words Ted was using. And Ted replied that he doesn't use that type of language around youths.
They essentially agreed to disagree and Rich asked me to give Ted a tour of the shop and shooting range.
I of course did and during the tour we walked by the wall of fame where shop patrons had their 8 x10's of archery kills hung up. On a wall of 100's Ted spotted mine pointed to it and said nice "f bomb Buck" I replied with "f bomb Thanks!!!!" He smiled and I felt like such a rebel!!!

It was all my friend he had the connections and the hunting spots, rumor had it Bobby Knight used to come to ND in those days hunting Pheasant.

About ten years ago we were pheasant hunting in SW Kansas (back when it was really good hunting) and we stopped in a small town to grab some lunch. The owner and us got talking, he told us that 4 days earlier Bobby Knight was hunting in the area and had also come in to eat lunch. Man, if we would have been in there 4 days prior, that would have been pretty cool!

The very first time I ever hunted quail was with Bobby Knight in SW Indiana.

He didn't shoot very well that day and I got to listen to his colorful language and watch him pout. He didn't shoot anyone so there's that.

The very first time I ever hunted quail was with Bobby Knight in SW Indiana.

He didn't shoot very well that day and I got to listen to his colorful language and watch him pout. He didn't shoot anyone so there's that.

Colorful hunt I bet!!!:thumbsup::cheers:

That's funny. I have a work meeting in Dallas every December. The NFL also runs meetings at the same hotel the same days. Sometimes it's just back office personnel doing scheduling meetings but other times that have owners or GMs doing some stuff.

About 3 years ago we had a lunch buffet set up in our room, NFL was across the hall, and a few of our guys had grabbed some food and sat down. Me being one of them.

In walks Elway and he starts perusing the buffet. Then he grabs a plate and starts loading up the food.

I said, "John, if you keep filling that plate your going to have to sit through the rest of the afternoon of an insurance seminar." he gave me a funny look then figured out what he had done.

We talked a little bit after that. I had played against him in college (well I didn't play but my team played his) I think his senior year.

Back