Browning BPS or Remington 870 Express Super Mag

mcharlto88

I'm new to hunting and plan to go buy my first shotgun in the next week or two. I'm wondering if I can get some opinions on a couple options I've been looking at. The Browning BPS and the Remington 870 Express Super Mag. I was pretty set on the Browning, but saw that Bass Pro is having a sale starting this weekend and the Remington is about half the price after rebates. I've heard they are good guns, but wondering if anybody has ever compared the two, or if somebody can share the pros and cons of each gun. I'm left handed so the browning bottom load and eject was initially very appealing, but I've shot left handed many times in the past and the ejecting on the right side has never bothered me. Thanks for all the help!

If your shooting left handed go with the browning It cost more but is well worth it. My dad has three PBS'S and they are all damn fine pump guns.

I would recommend against a right hand gun.

As far as Browning BPS, my family has three 12 gauge, 3.5" chambers and one 20 gauge youth, 3" chamber. All good guns. I borrowed my son's little 20 when I was training my Drahthaar and it shoots so well, even for a big boy like me.

You can get a 870 Express in left hand configuration. BPS is nicer but heavier. Or you can look for a used L.H. 870 Wingmaster, which would be your best option.

You can get a 870 Express in left hand configuration. BPS is nicer but heavier. Or you can look for a used L.H. 870 Wingmaster, which would be your best option.

I agree with Lefty. I would look for a used left hand 870 Wingmaster. Probably still cost you less than the BPS and you will have a better shotgun. I know guys that love their BPS's but all the guys I knew that had a BPS got rid of them because they had so many problems. You never hear that about a 870.

Model 37? I own all three and feel qualified to provide some input. There is nothing wrong with an American gun.

Absolutely. You can have a left hand safety installed on a Ithaca 37, and they eject empties out of the bottom like a BPS. I have 3 model 37's in 12, 16, and 20 ga. All 3 have left hand safties. I will be taking the 12 and 16 to SD this year for pheasants. Very light to carry all day. I also have a L.H. 12 ga. Wingmaster and a 12 ga. BPS, but the model 37's get the nod for upland hunting!

Last edited:
I used to have a 3.5" BPS with 28" barrels. No complaints about the mechanics or aesthetics of that gun, although I don't think they sell a 3.5" chamber with walnut and blued barrel anymore. Anyway, it worked fine for years until I upgraded to a semi. Shot lots of clays and shot (at) everything from doves to turkeys with it. Good gun all around.

If I had it to do over again, I would have picked one of the other pumps with a trigger guard safety instead of the thumb safety. It took a slight adjustment when I switched over to the semi, and they don't sell too many semi-autos with a thumb safety if you ever plan to upgrade. Just something to think about, not a deal breaker by any means...

I guess if your next upgrade would be a double barrel, then having a thumb safety now could possibly be advantageous.:thumbsup:

Absolutely. You can have a left hand safety installed on a Ithaca 37, and they eject empties out of the bottom like a BPS. I have 3 model 37's in 12, 16, and 20 ga. All 3 have left hand safties. I will be taking the 12 and 16 to SD this year for pheasants. Very light to carry all day. I also have a L.H. 12 ga. Wingmaster and a 12 ga. BPS, but the model 37's get the nod for upland hunting!

I've got a new ultralight that I'm excited about shooting this september.

I'm for sure a Remington guy when it comes to these two guns. However I would go with the BPS being your a lefty. I believe the BPS will have higher resale over a left handed 870 express down the line should you decide to buy a better gun.

Got the Browning BPS 12 Gauge last night! Unfortunately I have to wait a few weeks to actually go shoot it because I'm busy it seems like every weekend. Can't wait to get out and shoot it though! Won't be the first time shooting a gun, but it'll be the first time shooting my own gun!

Back