Browning A5 20 magnum?

reddog

Last week I found a Browning A5 magnum 20 guage on a random online auction site in Mn. I looked on Gunbroker and there were 3 on there, ranging in price from $1,399 to $1,999. This one was sitting at $525 with 16 hours left.

The website said the gun was in 98% condition. They could not tell me what choke it was, but the price was right at the time. I threw a bid on it,. and 12 hours later, I owned another A5 20 mag for $575.

Picked it up tonight at my dealer. It is nice! 98%?, maybe not, but I would rate it at 90, and the price was right.

Got it home and took it apart, and its missing the friction rings, which disappoints me.

Turns out it is a 27 inch full choke, which I really hoped it wouldn't be, but hey, the price was right.

Here she is, next to the A5 20 Mag 25" Skeet I bought from onpoint here 2 years ago.

BBB.jpg

AAA.jpg

BB.jpg

AA.jpg

CCC.jpg

Are the friction rings available anymore? I think they are for a 12.

They are good pheasant guns. I bought a 1967 A 5 magnum about 85% for $600 on line last year. It was missing a set of rings and one bronze brake. I order all pieces and a mag spring from Browning. They have the best price. It came with a plain full choke barrel. I sold the barrel on Ebay for $150 and bought a new modified barrel for $200. It is now set up for a good pheasant gun and is light for those long walks. There is a vented improved barrel on Ebay now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROWNING-A-...05&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=201204886847&rt=nc

Thanks TD.
Can it be shot the way it is with the ring shown?

Looking at the Ebay item.. its tempting..

I would not recommend shooting the gun without the rings - you may end up with the receiver in your face!

Brownels in Iowa sells the rings. I noticed one of the movable rings is in the gun alaready, so you needent replace that one. Consider replacing the action spring on the outside of the magazine, when you order new ring...

Thanks TD.
Can it be shot the way it is with the ring shown?

Looking at the Ebay item.. its tempting..

You need the bronze piece at the end of the tube or it may crack the forearm. To shoot heavy loads you need mag spring, friction ring with flat side against the mag spring, bronze piece, two rings flat sides back to back then another bronze piece in that order. To shoot 2 3/4 heavy loads you need mag spring, friction ring and one bronze piece. My gun will not eject 7/8 ounce loads, but I only shoot 3 inch shells.

TD,

My skeet gun shows 5 rings, 3 black, and two bronze. Is that the correct amount?

The new gun shows one ring, a black one. I ordered two bronze ones from Brownells. Are the bronze ones different, or the same?

They were out of the black rings.

Which ones are the "friction rings"?

It looks like the pieces are set up correctly on the skeet gun
the black ones are the friction rings. The bronze pieces are the same and it doesn't matter how they are turned up or down.

You scored!!!:thumbsup: Have you heard from OP lately?

Right here boys..nice score Red..How ya been Bleu?

Getting a little better each month OP!!! Sent you a pm a while ago and didn't hear back!!! Hope you have a great Thanksgiving buddy!!!:thumbsup:

I had not heard from OP lately, till now. I thought the thread last month, where I took the 20 mag skeet out for a few days in SD would've brought him out of hiding..

Glad to hear youre OK OP.

Still kicking, can't get rid of me that easy...LOL:thumbsup:

Happy Thanks Giving to you all too. Good to hear your getting better Bleu...

They are good pheasant guns. I bought a 1967 A 5 magnum about 85% for $600 on line last year. It was missing a set of rings and one bronze brake. I order all pieces and a mag spring from Browning. They have the best price. It came with a plain full choke barrel. I sold the barrel on Ebay for $150 and bought a new modified barrel for $200. It is now set up for a good pheasant gun and is light for those long walks. There is a vented improved barrel on Ebay now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROWNING-A-...05&prg=11353&rk=1&rkt=6&sd=201204886847&rt=nc

The IC bbl was delivered today. It's a nice piece. Not quite as nice as the guns I have. But now I have several options. Are the A5s notorious for chafing off the bluing where the barrel and fore end interface together?

Are the A5s notorious for chafing off the bluing where the barrel and fore end interface together?

Are there two streaks up the barrel in line with the top of the forend? About 3" long? Put the empty gun's butt on the floor and put you hand over the end of the barrel and press down hard. The barrel moves backward under recoil and that's what makes the action work and the streaks appear as the barrel wobbles a little while moving back.
If that isn't what you're talking about as far as bluing wear by the forend...never mind.:)

The IC bbl was delivered today. It's a nice piece. Not quite as nice as the guns I have. But now I have several options. Are the A5s notorious for chafing off the bluing where the barrel and fore end interface together?

Auto 5 barrels do sometimes get slide marks from the forearm rubbing the barrel. Most of the time these marks aren't visible until you take the barrel off. To keep the forearm from rubbing, you could "float" the forearm by lightly sanding the inside of forearm , then seal it with some tru oil. This also helps prevent the forearm from cracking. Most cracks are caused by not having the rings and bronze pieces set up correctly though.

Thanks,

That was the wear lines I was talking about calmari.

As advertised, the skeet gun was in perfect shape. The full and now the IC have the slight wear lines from the fore end.

Back