Brought out a newbie

tuna

My boss asked if I could take him out bird hunting sometime, I said "sure thing". I brought him out yesterday, in the rain and cold and we stomped a field near our work for about 1.5 hours. We saw a blue heron, and some feather piles from deceased pheasant, but nothing live.
Even though we didn't see anything, my boss said that he understands how this is fun (DUH) and that next year (the season closes on Saturday) we'd do this more often, if I didn't mind.
As we're exiting the WMA, we get to the start of the "safety zone", where I explain that all guns have to be unloaded. We put our shells in our pocket, and start up the path (yeah, you know where this is going). At the end of the path that leads to the field that are car is parked at the end of - a rooster hops from right to left and lands in the MIDDLE of the path, about 15 feet ahead of us, pauses for 2 seconds and takes off like super-bird up up and away.

We've been laughing about this ever since. At least I didn't take him to a spot where there was nothing - just too bad that this bird can read.

I think I've got us a new member of the fold.

Back