Brood numbers

JO BO

I have been watching for broods this summer and have observed several lately. A few 6 bird ones ,but have come across 2 with 10 and a very large

one that had 13 chicks. I don't know if they are combined broods of 2 hens or they are just having a great survival rate. Great to see though.

Only saw one hen that appeared to be alone. JO BO

I spent about an hour driving around and putting up game cameras in SE ND last week. Between 5pm-6pm I saw 4 broods with 7-10 chicks/brood. Flying about 30 yards when spooked by the truck.

The potholes were full again, and ducks were everywhere. Hoping for a good year.

You're welcome.. I tried twice now to post a lengthy post but it keeps timing out on me'

This morning though was 1 bird 2.....3 bird 4, then came 5 and 6 followed by 7,8,9,10....were there more? out popped 11,12 and 13 grinned from the bush and brought his

brother with him.......to make 14 little birdies crossing the road.....nice morning sight.

Some observations from yesterday

Corn as tall as I have ever seen this year....... My sightings for the day ....one bull snake who was too slow for someone to make it across the road.

A set of hind legs from a white tail fawn ( coyote kill?) 1 white tail doe......Numerous upland sandpipers.. Lots of hawks, A herd of Pronghorn grazing in a pasture.

A beautiful set of 5 white tail bucks watching me in a V formation with a monster in the middle flanked by 2 nice friends on each side.

4 broods of pheasants of various sizes........from little guys from late hatch to almost as big as the hen numbering from 5 to 10 in the brood.

$ raccoons in a group following each other in a line and another single.

Great wildlife day of observance.

Another funny sight yesterday was a wild turkey ran across the road in front of me and flew to the grass and immediately came back up in the air. and flew further down the

field.....I saw a pheasant hen running from where the turkey landed at first. I think they scared each other ....or there was something else in there pursuing the hen and the turkey

got in the way..

Some observations from yesterday

Corn as tall as I have ever seen this year....... My sightings for the day ....one bull snake who was too slow for someone to make it across the road.

100% agree- the corn is very very tall......I don't remember it being much higher very often.

Back