Brittany Tails

Dakotazeb

I'm curious about the length of the tail on Brittanys. My Britts have always had a rather long tail compared to most I see and I've really come to prefer a little more length. My 6 year old female's tail is approx. 4" and my 1 year old pup's is approx. 5".

Here is a pic of each dog. The liver/white is my 6 year old and the orange/white is the pup. Shows their tails pretty good.

Mattie061.jpg
[/IMG]

Elle002.jpg
[/IMG]

i know you were asking about britts but my new gwp's tail is longer than my previous 2 that i had,is there not a set length or breed standard for each and if there is what is it ? also does it depend on what vet you take them to?

Around here most Brit tails are about 4 inches. I like them that length. I think a stubby tail makes them look unfinished in the back end. The ones I think are ugly to my taste are those in between length tails now showing up on GSP's..........Bob

You know, Bob. Now that I think about it there are a number of breeds with docked tails that seem to be longer today than in the past. The Springers I had in the 70's, 80's & 90's probably had a 5' tail. Now most of the Springers I see have a tail nearly twice that length.

I guess it's personal preference, but I don't care for the looks of the bobtail Britts. I l ike to see the tails on my Britts sticking straight up when they lock up on point.

Last edited:
photo00quail16ib7.jpg

As you can see Tony don't hold his tail up when he points. I truly wish he would, we tried from when he first started pointing, but he would never permit it. I love the way your dogs look George, I wish I could get Tony to do the same. Please notice Tony is smiling, do you think he loves what he is doing?......Bob

Last edited:
Pretty much all of us in trials keep the tails at around 60%, not a monkey tail but yet a nice flag for ballence running, and it realy helps let you know when thier birdy, because it vibrates much more when on sent. I would think a Brit would look great with the slightly longer tail as well. That good looking feathered flag held up on point. There is nothing about breed standards on this I don't think, it has just came to evolve this way because of the direction and prefrence of breeders over the years, I could be wrong. Show people tend to all have a little stub. I have a dog they hacked off everything but the stub by accident, and I can't stand it. I love the flag. It made me mad but she is still a hell of a hunting dog. I also know a guy that bred his NFC Springer that had the whole litter sold with deposits before they were born. His vet did the same mistake and all the buyer's backed out. They were all field trialers. He was not happy. So I now make sure I tell them several times what to do. 60%, Maybe just a touch longer if it will get a white tip in.

It is generally a standard dock. For GSP's you feel the vertabrae up the tail until in starts to narrow and then go two vertabrae up and dock the tail. Forgive my spelling. I personally hate the long tails.

Back