Brittany Retrieves Turkey to Hand

BritChaser

I was following some hen turkeys in a cut bean filed when they dropped over the edge of the field into some grass. Thinking they might have hidden in the grass, I popped out of the truck, dropped a couple shells into the barrels and released Gus. When we reached the field's edge and looked down in the grass, there they were. I nailed one and told Gus to fetch. When he reached it the bird began running around madly with Gus chasing. He finally caught it. I said "Fetch, Gus." He brought the hen to the barb wire, I spread the wire, he stepped through, and presented the bird to my hand. The hen was still alive with her head erect and looking around. Her barely scathed breast is now in the freezer destined for wild turkey noodle soup or some other concoction. MmMmm. GOOD DOG, Gus.

turkey

I had a similar situation a couple years ago while out with my old golden. Some turkeys were hiding along a steep creek bank, while my dog and I were hunting along the upper edge. I never knew the birds were there, but all of a sudden my dog bails over the steep bank and turkeys start blowing out in every direction!:eek: That was the most excited I've ever seen that dog! I had several fly by at very close range, crossing shots within 20 yards...

I bought a Fall turkey tag the next day just in case, but never got so lucky again. Still, I'll never forget that day and the way the dog looked at me after he flushed so many "giant pheasants" and I didn't even pull the trigger. Poor dog...

Last edited:
Flushing Turkeys

I had a similar situation a couple years ago while out with my old golden. Some turkeys were hiding along a steep creek bank, while my dog and I were hunting along the upper edge. I never knew the birds were there, but all of a sudden my dog bails over the steep bank and turkeys start blowing out in every direction!:eek: That was the most excited I've ever seen that dog! I had several fly by at very close range, crossing shots within 20 yards...

I bought a Fall turkey tag the next day just in case, but never got so lucky again. Still, I'll never forget that day and the way the dog looked at me after he flushed so many "giant pheasants" and I didn't even pull the trigger. Poor dog...

I began carrying fall tags based on the same experience. I was pheasant hunting when the dog flushed dozens of turkeys within easy range, but I had no tag. Lesson learned.

Back