breeding age

I've never bred dogs before, but my grandpa bred shorthairs for about 30 years and I know that he wouldn't ever breed until the dog was atleast 3 years old.

what is a good age to start breeding your dogs?

Around three years when all health clearances are done for your breed of choice IMO healthy puppies are very important!, And the male and female that you are breeding are 2 dogs that most would love to own as a hunting dog! (Always try to make a better dog) :)

Kevin
KB Kennels

I have read not until the third heat for females, but they can't get their OFA Cert. until 2 years of age. Males at a young age do not produce quality sperm. So I would wait until at least you can get all the health certs. But I am not a pro by any means, and the best way to produce the best dogs is to get as well informed as you can. I have been reading every day on this IC " Inbreed Coefficient" it is interesting and the best kennels adopt this program to produce the kind of dog they are looking for. Good Luck!!!!!!!

i figured at least a couple of years, these 2 dogs look like they have good blood lines behind them. I also wanted to make sure that they are proven in the field and at home for a couple of years, get a couple of hunting seasons under their belt and see if they have what it takes and if lit looks like they will have good pups and also pass all their health checks.

We will breed after 3 but usually wait until 4 years. All health clearences are a must. 3-4 years gives us a real good measure as to what we have in a finished dog. They ususally have 3-5 soild western trips and hundreds of birds killed over them. We only breed the best and that 3-4 year window gives us that time we need no make sure everything is right. We want the best and healthiest puppies we can produce.

www.boberosagundogs.com

Back